Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

What are the advantages of a bench top multimeter?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2021, 12:43 AM   #31
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

It'll keep you warm, too.
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:17 AM   #32
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

For $72 this is a great value: High-Precision Resistance Tester Milliohm Meter Accurate With OLED USB Charging | eBay You should get a good reference to verify its accuracy. It reads out to 5 digits which is close to as good as you can get at those low values.
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:27 PM   #33
jbau is offline jbau  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
Also Mark Johnson mentioned 4 wire. What is the cheapest way to measure low value resistances accurately? I sometimes want to closely match 0.1 Ohm resistors for Papa's amps....
Any decent LCR meter with 4-wire connections and short compensation will measure milliOhms just fine, and will be useful for other things too.
Old 23rd October 2021, 06:11 PM   #34
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Marco Reps video on the 30 year old HP3458. HP 3458A - Why is this 31 year old Multimeter UNRIVALLED? - YouTube

I was fortunate to get an HP3456A when the Dot-Com economy went bust, around $100. No such luck today. For every day use the Fluke 77 is used 60% of the time, and a set of Tektronix DM511's 40%
Old 23rd October 2021, 08:13 PM   #35
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbau View Post
Any decent LCR meter with 4-wire connections and short compensation will measure milliOhms just fine, and will be useful for other things too.
Is there such as thing for under $650?
Old 23rd October 2021, 08:18 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

The DER5000 has been the go to LCR meter for years: https://www.amazon.com/5000-Handheld...TESTING_DEVICE $130 at Amazon.
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:30 PM   #37
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Demian, I've got a DE-5000 from DER-EE and I assure you it cannot make 4-terminal Kelvin measurements. All it has is DUT+, DUT-, and Guard.

On the other hand, I also own an ET4510 ($421 at AliExpress, $679 at Amazon) and that LCR meter DOES have four BNC jacks on the front panel for 4-terminal Kelvin measurements. They label the terminals (Hforce), (Hsense), (Lforce), (Lsense). The box includes the test leads with BNC and alligator clamp probes, along with the instrument and power cord.

_
Attached Images
File Type: png userman.png (129.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: png bzort.png (213.7 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 23rd October 2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:56 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I have no experience with the DER5000 myself. It is often recommended however. I use an ESI Videobridge which is overkill for most measurements.
Old 24th October 2021, 04:16 PM   #39
jbau is offline jbau  United States
diyAudio Member

A longtime friend and customer (owner/mod of the Lecroy users group), who owns or had access to some high-end LCR/Z meters from GR and HP, bought one of these XJW-01 on a whim:
0.3% XJW01 Auto LCR Digital Bridge Resistance Capacitance Inductance ESR Meter | eBay

At that price I was skeptical. He took a selection of different LCR components and measured them on the XJW-01 and the high-end meters, and sent me the chart. I couldn't argue with the results, they were impressive. His quote:

"The thing to note on that spreadsheet is how close the meters track each other. I guess in reality we can thank Henry Parson Hall for that as they all use his measurement method in the designs."

As a bonus, the BNC's are spaced the same as test fixtures from HP, B+K, and others (22mm) so if you have any of them laying around you can use them with it. He also made up some pcb's which attach, with a fixture for measuring SMD parts, which I've encouraged him to offer for sale.

If I didn't already have several LCR meters on the bench I'd get one; at the price they're a no-brainer. Numerous vendors sell the XLW-01 with different accessories, so look around.

Last edited by jbau; 24th October 2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 24th October 2021, 04:34 PM   #40
NareshBrd is offline NareshBrd  India
diyAudio Member

DSO138 2.4 inch TFT Handheld Pocket-size Digital Oscilloscope Kit DIY Parts Electronic Learning Set Soldered buy online at Low Price in India - ElectronicsComp.com

$11 or so without cell.
See the specs before laughing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graphic TFT.jpg (41.0 KB, 84 views)

What are the advantages of a bench top multimeter?Hide this!Advertise here!