Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Could I get some beginner woodworking advice please?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2021, 11:33 PM   #41
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
I like to use planes also. I have very old Stanley no. 4, no. 5, no. 7, and no. 220, which are amazingly useful. Again, care for the blades. When working with MDF or ply, I often cut a millimetre or two from a line using my jigsaw, then finish with planes.
Keep in mind that MDF is very abrasive. It can render a sawblade or drill bit useless in very short order. When I was manufacturing MDF based speakers I had to keep spare carbide blades and a diamond edge router bit on hand to keep production going. Even with a very good blade on your plane I can see MDF as a way to get your practice at sharpening.
Old 14th October 2021, 11:50 AM   #42
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

MDF doesn’t hold a candle to decent Australian hardwoods in terms of blunting tools!

I really want a water-wheel sharpener, like a Tormac, but have yet to convince hubby of the usefulness of such a thing.
Old 14th October 2021, 01:06 PM   #43
multisync is offline multisync  Canada
diyAudio Member

The local college here offered night courses in power tool use, fine cabinet construction and Kitchen cabinet making. I took the kitchen cabinet course and redid my whole kitchen. Saved me thousands.
  Reply to this post

Could I get some beginner woodworking advice please?Hide this!Advertise here!