Could I get some beginner woodworking advice please?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I like to use planes also. I have very old Stanley no. 4, no. 5, no. 7, and no. 220, which are amazingly useful. Again, care for the blades. When working with MDF or ply, I often cut a millimetre or two from a line using my jigsaw, then finish with planes.

Keep in mind that MDF is very abrasive. It can render a sawblade or drill bit useless in very short order. When I was manufacturing MDF based speakers I had to keep spare carbide blades and a diamond edge router bit on hand to keep production going. Even with a very good blade on your plane I can see MDF as a way to get your practice at sharpening.

Well, here I am a year later.
Unfortunately life took over for a year.
I am now where I was a year ago, but with a better skill saw and a router (Bosch GOF 1700 E)
Swiped some wood out of a skip and made some OB speakers :)

Pretty much a bodge job. The wood was a bit warped and damaged.
But it has got me going at last.
Great to be able to play without fear and get something out of it.
Time to ponder a track saw.

Great post, don’t worry too much, just build up gradually as you go along. Like you, I’m no expert, I just happen to work with someone who knows a lot more than me. So every now and again, I find an excuse for a little splurge (I just bookmarked those Bessey clamps someone mentioned last year..)

I have learned it doesn’t really matter if things don’t turn out perfectly. They rarely do - tho that usually doesn’t mean they’re crap either. Biiiig range of greys. And every time, you get a little more experience along the way.

Do top this thread up now and again - it’s always nice to hear how people are getting on, whatever the rate of progress. It’s still progress.

Absolutely.
I am happy to make mistakes. It really is the only way I learn.

'Oh, I see' is a common comment of mine. :)

I am dead pleased with my speakers. (have some little improvements for sq to do.)
I definitely chose the right speaker first as it gave a lot of leeway as you haven't got six sides all trying to match up :)
Your average person has no idea where they are a couple of mm out.
If I put a slap of paint on, they will think they are great looking :)

Those Bessey clamps look great.

I also made another simple thing on the path which was a mirror and frame out of an old chest of drawers I bagsied for the wood.
All good practice and a mess about.
Like you say, perfection takes a looooong time. (I knew a cabinet maker once and no matter how hard you looked, you could find no fault).
also, having done a bunch of garden stuff and some work with other tradesmen in the past, it astonished me how a 'normal' person can't see the faults.

I have also found it amusing how I got caught out at every stage.
'Cut a straight line' - Hmmmmmmmm
'Now cut it in the right place' - lol - Hmmmmmm
'Cut a circle' - Hmmmmmm
'Choose a router' - Hmmmmmm
'you can make a circle jig' - Oooooooohhhh
'Now cut a small circle' - Hmmmmmm
'Drill a straight pilot hole' - Hmmmmmm
'Hold it still while you ......' - Hmmmmmmm

lol

Oh, actually, I should ask here before I try the next one.

1) So, I wanted to cut a smaller hole using my router. I haven't tried it yet.
The Pivot point for the hole (I just used a bit of 3mm ply as a circle jig for the big one) is under the router.
Is the method still the same, just a case of burying the screw head.
Or is there a better way.

I used a friends hole saw at the time. Which, he admitted, was a cheap one and essentially burnt its way through the 18mm ply.
In fact my neighbor thought something was actually burning. (smells go straight through from garage to garage)

2) I didn't feel like recessing my tweeter at the time. I was too excited to get something working.
So, I know I should have done it when I had something in the middle to screw into but I didn't.
It only needs 3.5mm (actually, bit more as I need gasket)
But it is about 10mm wide.
Actually, next time, it would be more as I would cut it closer to the back and do cut outs for the connectors.
https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/downloads/Seas/h1189_datasheet.pdf