Stepped Differential Attenuator

I got tired of cobbling together resistors to attenuate amplifier signals when doing distortion measurements. For low-level measurements, having a rats nest of parts and wires on the bench was bad from a noise standpoint as well.

So I decided to put together a fully differential stepped attenuator. I wanted:
  • Either fully differential or single-ended use (switchable)
  • XLR (mini) and BNC connectors
  • Coarse and fine adjustment
I looked around for an easy way (as opposed to something fancy like relays and R2R networks) to do this and came across Joe Broskie's clever idea of using a combination of shunt resistors for coarse adjust and a series string for fine steps. He sells a kit to do this on his Glass-Ware store. Currently, they appear to be out of stock.

The first picture shows the completed unit in a small aluminum case. The second shows the schematic with resistor values and the third shows the internal (somewhat messy) point-to-point wiring. The resistors are mounted directly on the switches.

For the shunt resistors, I used 1%. For the input and series string resistors, I used 0.1% in order to keep common-mode errors low in balanced mode.

Note that the attenuator has an in-built 3 dB insertion loss due to the shunt arrangement, so I have to mentally add in -3 dB when doing measurements. Not a big deal.

The front panel was designed in KiCad and sent off to JLCPCB. I specified aluminum for the substrate. They charged me US$0.50 each (plus shipping) and had them to me in a week. This is a great way to get nice-looking panels done on the cheap.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1291.png
    IMG_1291.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 338
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 2.11.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 2.11.23 PM.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_1290.png
    IMG_1290.png
    548.7 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Exactly right - except I forgot to say no order number. :D

The aluminum looks nice, but you could also specify a white solder mask on the front with black lettering.

Here is a better picture of the panel.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.png
    IMG_1283.png
    482 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
The frequency response is pretty much ruler-flat to 20 Hz to 20KHz at all attenuation steps. This is using short, low capacitance cables and a low impedance output from my sound card. I think that since the resistors are all relatively low value, there is not much roll-off in the audible band.

For my use case, it is a moot point regardless, since I tend to do a calibration loop with the attenuator, notch filter, and soundcard in series, then switch to a low distortion oscillator (Victor's) feeding a DUT and subtracting out the calibration anomalies.