Starlock Washer Tool

Hi,

Does anyone here have experience removing / replacing starlock washers? Obviously, you can get them off with brute force - but it can take ages, and collateral damage can result. A tool that puts them on / off would be very desirable. The things are a total PITA. A Google search throws up a couple of tools, but information pertaining to how useful they are is thin on the ground.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

TIA.

Last edited:
AFAIK there is no special tool for removal.
Depending on access, use whatever you can to cut the starlock washer.
Wire cutters, dremel.
Alternatively, use a small screwdriver to prise up the tangs individually until loose.
Of course, you need to source replacements.

Thank you, all - much appreciated.

I have spoken with a distributor who sells starlock washers and tools. They've said that starlock washers aren't designed to be removed, and there is no known way of doing so without firstly, destroying the washer - and secondly, potentially damaging parts in the near vacinity. It looks to me as if all of you have valid suggestions, and there is no magic tool for removal.

They can typically be removed with carefully controlled violence, and for most situations the resulting damage isn't a show-stopper, but I've seen them used on plastic and that's the most problematic situation I think. Prying back the tabs one by one is worth a go, small screwdriver blades can serve for this (although its not good for them).