Power supply load test

Hi all,
Is there any reason that a large nichrome heater element would be inappropriate for load testing a power supply? I don't have any large power resistors on hand but I do have a laundry dryer heater element that measures ~ 9R5.
The PS in question is +/- 30vdc and 300va

Last edited:
You shouldn't have qualms about bizarre loads: this one did a very useful job everytime I needed it, about once or twice a year.

The Franken-Load

It cost me nothing, being made of pure crap materials....

Although the heating elements were designed to be water cooled, I didn't use water: in a messy lab, where high voltage is present, it isn't a good idea.

Instead, I heavily derated the max power, and used forced-air cooling.
It is not pretty, but it works as a charm when needed

Rayma,
This is a dryer element rated at 5400W @240Vac operated in a free/forced air environment. Your comment plus Elvee's following post reminded me that I have a large water heater element or two somewhere in the shop that may prove useful.

Elvee, I like it man... Franken-load indeed! I love re-use, salvage and otherwise practical use of parts that would end up in a landfill. Kudos. Perhaps I'll build out my own Franken-Style selectable load for permanent use on the bench.

After a successful test it occurred to me that with a new washer and dryer being delivered in about a weeks time I have another donor nichrome element. As it turns out, it's another 5400 watt unit but it appears to have a center tap on the element. I'll meter it out more closely when my OD chores are done but it looks like with some switching I'll have ~5R, 10R, 20R and 30R ranges available. ��