Need a new multimeter - recommendations please

My old Fluke 73 III has gone kaput after nearly 20 years. I bought a cheapie Kline at Home Depot that I’m not happy with because it’s not auto-ranging and doesn’t give range or mode info in the display, among other things. I figure I’ll keep it as a backup.

I’m not a highly sophisticated user who would benefit from very expensive models laden with features. I want reliability, ease of use, accuracy, and a perhaps bit more than a minimal feature set. I am still partial to Fluke. The model 110 is a bit over $100, which seems okay. So my question is, should I spend a little more for a higher model, or will the 110 be a solid long-term purchase? I’d rather pay a little more now than to wish I had later. My typical use is building amps, etc (kits) testing and troubleshooting, as well as general household and automotive stuff. Is there a specific model that is viewed as the perfect basic meter, loved by everyone, and no regrets on value? Thanks!

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Are you willing to go used? A few years ago, I was and landed up buying a couple of older flukes, I think 8060A. No auto ranging, but may need your other needs. Perfect for me, I only need fluke level of measurements every few years so didn't want to spend $$$ on a new fluke.

Mastech 830 series, basic AC/DC, resistance, hfe, buzzer, manual ranging, $6 here.
Some Flukes were on sale here, $30 onwards. regular was $60 for same model. Good long lived meters.
Graphic type meters are $12 onwards, capacitance, Mosfet and other functions.

Or buy Sanwa, very good.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I concur with rif: look for a used Fluke.

A Fluke 87-V, while not exactly "basic", is the multimeter that best fits your description "viewed as the perfect basic meter loved by everyone". I got mine on ebay used but well cared for thus in virtually new condition, for $215 a few years ago. I have a 179 also and love it.

Check your PM for a possible lead

Unitech UT-61e seems well liked, ~$65

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSYZZBV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_G1ZPQJC180K7501T53J0

Last edited:
Yes, I’m willing to go used if it’s a substantial savings, like half off or something, and if it’s one of the better models. Mirlo, I sent the seller a message on the lead you gave me. Thanks.

Rayma, I agree. I’m looking to buy my last meter. But I also don’t need to spend big bucks because a) my need is fairly simple, and b) thrifty (not cheap). I want great quality, a bit more than I expect I’ll need in terms of features, and costing less than a month’s worth of groceries.

I’ve heard about the UNI-T twice today- here and from a technician I spoke to on the phone. He has one, and he doesn’t do cheap. His is quite expensive and beyond what I need... but that UT61e model looks really good for the price. An equivalent Fluke is going to be 3-4X the money. The only problem is that it’s not a Fluke. Anybody have any more info on the brand- reliable and well respected?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Of the meters mentioned the Fluke 8060 is the highest performance. Unfortunately no autoranging. Mine is still in cal after many years and no adjustment. Just checked and 10.00000 V in is 10.001 V, in spec! Its also a 4 1/2 digit meter meaning you can measure 1 mV in the 20V range. That may mean you do not need autoranging in many cases.

Numerous examples on eBay for less than $100. Some input from the original designer here: Old Fluke Multimeters - Page 1 (New price many years ago was $500)

Last edited:
If I were buying a new meter today, I would really like to have one that measures capacitance, inductance, and frequency as well as the normal voltage/ohms. But that may be asking too much. Having accurate AC RMS measurement is nice, but that usually comes at a price. I would check the frequency range of the AC voltage measurements, though. Many alignments have been screwed up due to meters not being able to accurately measure above 10 KHz.

There are fake ones in Uni-T too, must be well regarded to be worth copying.
Sanwa Japan are among the best, prices please check up.
Mastech is another good brand, and locally sold Meco are about $40 in auto ranging, brand new.
I would not but a used meter unless it was an AVO or something rare, new ones are cheap here, Fluke are factory use expensive ones here where extreme accuracy is needed.

And a difference in readings of 0.1 volt on the 10 volt range may or may not be important

Now as capacitance functions become more common, makes sense to buy a meter with it, hardly any difference in cost.

Last edited:
Just got this one, $20. Pretty happy with it.
Hf678be911d224807bfb53c042994da4dy.jpg

Zoyi, RichMeters and Uni-Trend look incredibly similar...

That said I initiated buying Uni-Trend multimeters (~20pcs.) for our company and have to say that after 5 years they all still hold up. We calibrate ourselves with a Keithley 2400 and they are all within spec. after 5y. Types are UT61D, UT61E & UT804.
That said, I´m pretty sure they won´t hold 10y or so.
Everything inside looks really cheap and not very rugged.

At home I have 2 Fluke multimeters and I would buy those again! (73III & 79III)