A simple and easy Dielectric-Absorption evaluator, the D.A.-Boy

Tradeoff: I'll keep the skinny traces for lower capacitance, but put the ground plane back. It felt wrong removing it anyway.

daboy1.PNG

I've remembered wires love to pick up noise, so I've also added footprints for output filter cap. In case this ends up inside a "shielded" cookie box, also a 50R resistor, and removed a bit of soldermask on the ground plane, to solder a coax.

Daboy2.PNG

I have slightly revised the gain structure to avoid saturation near the max reading:

attachment.php

I have adapted the BOM.

The adjustable capacitor is going to pose unexpected problems: it has become extremely difficult to find low-cost models.
Provisionally, I have placed an example in the BOM, but it costs 4.7€, yet it is the least expensive I could find. It would be impossible to order anyway, as the minimum qty is 1.5k.
It will probably be necessary to use the old HAM trick of a small bit of coaxial pruned until it has the right capacitance.

Elvee, would there be any benefit from putting the two 4066 switches in series rather than parallel ?
They are paralleled to reduce their resistance. A higher resistance would mean a lower maximum measurable capacitance value (The CUT needs to be totally discharged before being left open).
Series connection might reduce the charge injection, but that is far from certain; the opposite could be true

Attachments

• DABoy BOM1.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DAboyR1.png
    DAboyR1.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 146