Tube tester - Centrad 752

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got hold of this beautiful tube tester, my very first. It was advertised as fully working, and seems to be so as well. I haven't heard much about this one, but it seemed to have all the right features, so I went for it.

However, as with all vintage gear, I assume I have to do some fixing unless I want one of us suffer. So I had a peek inside.

I can only find one electrolytic cap, which I assume is used for filtering after rectification. Ok, no issue to replace. I've heard rumours about some types of old solid state rectifiers not being stable - is there any way for me to tell if this is such a type? The tester is from 1957, as far as I know.

Also, I saw some yellow components I didn't know what was, and one of them was chipped. I've attached pictures of those as well.

Apart from that, the power cord is a bit scary (and the chassis all metal), but everything else is in great shape!

Anyone know these?

EDIT: Sorry about the upside down pic. Looked fine until I uploaded.. :O

Attachments

• IMG_3374.jpg
    IMG_3374.jpg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3368.jpg
    IMG_3368.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3369.jpg
    801.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Hang on--- It looks nearly identical to the old Taylor 45C valve (tube ) tester I had , I still have the circuit diagram and made converter sockets for newer bases using the IO8 base as standard .

Being honest your internal build looks superior to my old Taylor --I had two ,the original 45A and the 45C , the "A" was flat but the "C" casing is identical to yours including the bases on the top .

I still have the original meter but the 45C transformer developed shorted turns.

I see someone just bought your tester on eBay $455 .

The "yellow " components are capacitors --early film types --don't increase the capacitance value the meter is set up for the value of components inside it and if you fit a modern SS diode then fit a small value resistor in series as the selenium one had a "slow " build up " and slight voltage drop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.