Oscilloscope repairers in the U.K?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have in the past repaired my own oscilloscopes but they were not SMD .

Those two are professional companies , I was looking for smaller businesses but as you know most of the public electronic repair shops on the local high street have gone out of business .

I use various non Google search engines, including small EU varieties .

Actually using Startpage I have found a lot more UK oscilloscope repair businesses.

Here is maybe a cheaper place in Wootton Bassett-

Oscilloscope repair - how to repair your oscilloscope | CJS-Services

Last edited:
Mine doesn't contain any SMD parts, it's too old for that. I would estimate it probably dates from the late 1970's/early 80's.

Actually, it isn't an oscilloscope, it's an old Iwatsu spectrum analyser but it's the display unit/section that needs repairing rather than the spectrum analyser unit/section.

The fault is that the horizontal position control is completely non-functional.

I haven't been able to track down a copy of the service manual anywhere.

Last edited:
Sorry Mike I tried but cant find a schematic or manual .

I will say one thing for you your definitely a "trier " one search engine had you mentioned right down half a webpage under different links.

If the horizontal scan cant be regulated I suspect a power supply problem thats where most of my Tektronix faults lay in their old scopes ,especially the valve jobs .

Is it all SS ?

Thanks for contributing Duncan, it's very much appreciated.

I'm can't believe how hard it is to get hold of a copy of the service manual for this thing!

I've been looking at the horizontal position potentiometer again tonight and I'm fairly happy that the potentiometer itself is working correctly. The voltages at the potentiometer seem sensible too; I have measured +15v and -15v at it.

The resistance/voltage can be modulated smoothly up and down and the switch for the normal/x10 mag works.

I can supply a drawing of the connections of the potentiometer if that helps?Some of the connections go to the large board at the top of the unit which is where I think the horizontal amplifier is. Other connections go deep down into the bowels of the unit to a different board, of which I don't know the function.

Let me know what you need to see and I'll do my best!

Yes, that's the one. It got so cheap I couldn't resist it.

Unfortunately the seller did a woefully inadequate job of packaging it and the couriers managed to smash it to bits on the way here.

Main main problem is that it has proved impossible to find a copy of the service manual. Believe me, I've been trying!

I know Stewart of Reading. I bought my Tek oscilloscope from them.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You may be able to run the plug-in into an external display if the display section is not happy. Storage tubes are a pain. They have a finite shelf life. The HV is connection in reverse from a normal CRT with the mesh near ground and the cathode at HV.

Since the plugin has storage it may be sending a raster to the CRT making a substitute pretty simple if you can figure out the Horz and Vert frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.