Hot plate as speaker load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody else do this?
I bought an old hotplate at a yard sale which is essentially some nichrome wire wrapped at about one turn per 1/8" over a 3/16" mandrel. The coil is weaved into the the channels of the ceramic base. I measured the resistance cold - 16ohms. I ran a variac into it to see how much the coil impedance changed over the 75W output of my variac. It increased about 1ohm. It gets hot with 2.5 amps running into into it. Doesn't turn red.
Anyway I think it's a great noiseless 16ohm load to test a power amp at full output swing with.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The max resistance of a heating element is at it’s max operating temperature. This Rmax can be deduced from the formula R=(V^2)/W
R in Ohm, V in Vrms, W in Watt from dataplate

The max temp of an open coil heating element is 350-370 d Celsius.
Open coil temperature vs applied watts isn’t a linear relationship (due to neither heat convection nor heat radiation losses are linear)

George

Attachments

• dummy load.jpg
    dummy load.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 100
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.