Hantek Scopes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use the 5072P and it's adequate. I haven't explored all the advanced storage stuff but it runs and drives fine for my daily needs. It is definitely a good space saver if that's what you need. Do not expect extra crispy traces but you can scale up and see ringing and distortion fine.

Don't can the 465. Justify it as a backup.

Just talked to the business in my area about repairing the scope. He said $120 flat rate includes any repairs and calibrating, providing the HV and CRT are good. He's and hour south of me. Think I'll just send it in and keep using it.

I'll try a shelf as you suggested Perry.

I bought DSO5102 few years ago and I regret I did it. My unit have a lot of noise, basically useless for any kind of low signal measurements. I contacted Hantek few times and followed their instructions how to lower the noise (better probes, ferrite beads on probes, etc.) but without any improvements. Finally the guy said it is normal for their oscilloscopes and since than my DSO only collecting dust. With a previous experience with an analog Tektronix scope I would never buy again anything with Hantek name on it.
Just my experience that might help.

Yeah, the Hantek stuff isn't great. Generally, my recommendation is that unless you're willing to spend $350 or more, don't get a new digital scope for audio work.

I bought a Siglent SDS1202X-E a few months back, and I'll be honest, my Tek 2235 still gets just as much use. My 2235 is also spent most of its life in a university lab. It has a lot of hours on the CRT (and yes, it's noticeable) and there is definitely some noticeable wear on the controls and BNCs. As worn as it is, you'll find yourself working more efficiently on a lot of audio circuits with this type of scope.

This decision is up to the moderators, but IMO this thread should be in the "equipment and tools" forum.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I haven’t been able to find input noise specs for any of the DSO oscilloscopes of the low/mid price range.
There are a few settings and adjustments that make the trace on the screen look thick (interpreted as 'noisy') on DSOs.
Memory depth, waveform update rate, sample rate, analog bandwidth. The higher they are, the noisier the trace looks. Waveform persistence adjustment, intensity adjustment, averaging can alter the looks of the screen trace.
One of the measurements that remains quite unchanged regardless all these settings and adjustments when looking at a no signal input trace is the Vrms.

EEVblog #601 – Why Digital Oscilloscopes Appear Noisy – EEVblog
EEVblog #610 – Why Digital Scopes Appear Noisy – Part 2 – EEVblog
Owon XDS3062A input noise (good) and glitches (bad) - Page 1

George

My company bought me a Hantek DS8060, 60mghz 2 channel scope, for the road. I think it's not bad but right off the bat I blew ch1 monitoring line voltage. My bad, I scrolled through the probe multiplier menu while attached. When it hit 1X the screen went flat line.
I contacted Hantek. They offered to fix it if I paid shipping to and from Asia. Considering the price I paid for the scope I decided to fix it myself. They refused to send me a schematic. I replaced a blown dual FET on the input and it came back to life. A few months later I discovered the AC input coupling mode was erroneously displaying 1/10th the actual value. I have to fix that one yet.
I generally like it with it's large screen vs overall size. It is a little noisy though and like every portable thing I've ever owned the battery is slowly losing its ability to hold a charge.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.