Function Generator Sine Wave Bad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! I just got a used function generator. GF8056 Elenco. The sine wave is pointy at top and too rounded at bottom. I can’t seem to dial in a smooth sine wave. Any advice appreciated! Robert

Attachments

• 3E52AE05-8E9B-4DD7-B496-171F24976451.jpg
    3E52AE05-8E9B-4DD7-B496-171F24976451.jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 190
  • FCA4E2C3-2083-4112-A75E-1F13508FF599.jpg
    FCA4E2C3-2083-4112-A75E-1F13508FF599.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 190
The offset knob is rotated full negative, but it is pushed in. That should set the offset to some fixed value set inside the device somewhere. That is, the knob has no effect when pushed in. You have to pull it out to change the offset.

I don't think that's the problem - unless the knob is broken.

Joined 2011
Does the distortion remain the same, independent of the setting of the amplitude knob,
either in its rotation, or the pull/push setting of the -20dB switch?

How about the triangle waveform (from which the sine is created), does that look good?

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Call/write Elenco. This is a triangle-wave machine with a "sine" converter. My first FT job included trimming the converters on synths. It isn't too tricky, except it should not be THAT far out. You need specific guidance on this machine to check power rails and then find the several sine-converter trims. It would be in the service manual, but Elenco does not post that.

"Pointyness " in a non high end function generator isn't unusual and isn't always a fault as many function generators have sine wave distortion values that would not be acceptable in relation to THD testing .

Rounding at the bottom that's a different matter , I do not like those "sine wave convertors " as I can and have built sine wave generators with 0.001 ( or less ) .

I do agree the "shaping " needs to be adjusted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.