omnimic v2 vs emm 6

Hi all,

I'm looking to get the Omnimic V2 or EMM - 6 from Dayton Audio.

I was wondering whether you think that paying 4x the price for the Omnimic V2 vs EMM-6 is worth it. (and yes, I understand the subjectivity of your answers).

I do have a mixer and soundcard, so using the EMM-6 with XLR is not an issue.

What am I really getting with the Omnimic V2 except the supposed sensitivity to 5Hz and the software?

I currently don't see a use for getting down to 5Hz, perhaps in the future I will.

But I'm having trouble justifying to myself the 4x price difference. Unless of course I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance,

i have never used omnimic but in general, softwares with its own hardware are more easy to set up and to get trustworthy results with even the first time using it, especially so if you are a newbie to acoustic measurements. however, if you are a quick learner then you might sooner want more features and then a more powerful system might be the best first bet

I have the EMM-6 microphone and it mates perfectly with either my Macbook or my Acer laptop. It has been a while since I booted up the REW sofware but the interface is trouble free and intuitive. There is a place to enter the calibration data which is available after you enter your serial number on the Dayton website. Almost as easy as plugging in a thumbdrive. I have not used the Omnimic software since it wasn't available for the Mac when I started.

Help needed, please !
I normally use Clio in my "lab", but my version it is not very portable.
So I purchased Omnimic V2 a while ago, and now finally got ready for using it.
All the matching with the software and the mic. cal. code went well, and I have a spectrum on my screen with a live curve bouncing with noise in the room.
The mic. is obviously "hot".
But I do not succeed in making a sine-sweep response (or anything else) when I "press" the "Play" field in the "Pause/Play" group up under the "File" tab.
A response is supposed to be an input compared to an output, displaying the difference.
So I would expect Omnimic to initiate, say, 3 sweeps and display the averaged difference.
To my surprise, the "help" menu says nothing about how to get the test signals out of the computer.
Half the "input/output story" is simply missing, despite Bill is being very thourough with everything else.
I have tried:
1. Headphone output (3mm jack) which produced hum and noise and a very faint signal (using music thru VLC player)
2. A Dragonfly USB to 3mm jack non-syncronious converter which worked excellent with headphones and the amp. for the speaker under test (still using music thru VLC player).
But nothing thru Omnimic.
Questions:
A. Is Omnimic using left or right channel from the headphone out ?
B. Is a mono, L+R device/cable needed ?
C. How to configure output device from Omnimic (jack / USB) ?
D. I have downloaded the test files, but where are they supposed to be stored for Omnimic to "find" them ?

I am probably missing the obvious, but nevertheless in both confusion and despair.

Help needed, please !
I normally use Clio in my "lab", but my version it is not very portable.
So I purchased Omnimic V2 a while ago, and now finally got ready for using it.
All the matching with the software and the mic. cal. code went well, and I have a spectrum on my screen with a live curve bouncing with noise in the room.
The mic. is obviously "hot".
But I do not succeed in making a sine-sweep response (or anything else) when I "press" the "Play" field in the "Pause/Play" group up under the "File" tab.
A response is supposed to be an input compared to an output, displaying the difference.
So I would expect Omnimic to initiate, say, 3 sweeps and display the averaged difference.
To my surprise, the "help" menu says nothing about how to get the test signals out of the computer.
Half the "input/output story" is simply missing, despite Bill is being very thourough with everything else.
I have tried:
1. Headphone output (3mm jack) which produced hum and noise and a very faint signal (using music thru VLC player)
2. A Dragonfly USB to 3mm jack non-syncronious converter which worked excellent with headphones and the amp. for the speaker under test (still using music thru VLC player).
But nothing thru Omnimic.
Questions:
A. Is Omnimic using left or right channel from the headphone out ?
B. Is a mono, L+R device/cable needed ?
C. How to configure output device from Omnimic (jack / USB) ?
D. I have downloaded the test files, but where are they supposed to be stored for Omnimic to "find" them ?

I am probably missing the obvious, but nevertheless in both confusion and despair.
Under the config tab have you selected play from sound card?