Lab supply using Lateral MOSFETs

ha!! I saw the thread title and thought 'awesome, I have everything for this in my parts draw' then they talked you out of laterals ... lol. I have a bunch of the dual die semelab/allfet and exicons and can easily spare 4-6 (I reckon I can perhaps run them hotter, due to them being the big daddy parts?) then the forum talked you out of it ... hehe. I reckon i'll push ahead and play with the spice and do up a pcb of my own for the laterals. been meaning to knock something like this up for years and never got around to it, but I figure I can either mount them remotely on the sink and use them for something else if I really need them, but this way I can maybe add a second set of higher voltage rails and use it as a psu for the J2 i'm building when i'm not using it for a lab supply. only thing i'm missing is a suitable transformer.

Good stuff Suzy!!

I'm also adapting this design for my purposes... won't be as nice as Suzy's implementation, but I also don't need ultra-low-drift for my application. I've got other power supplies for that.

What my challenge is going to be is to get a PAIR of 70V 8A power supplies into a single 2U enclosure. I've got a pair of heatsinks and a chassis from a Crest CA9, so we'll see how successful I really am. I think I also have a couple of 2U HP server fans for it too.

In any case, I strongly recommend using a transformer tap-switching system for something like this, otherwise the amount of heat being dissipated gets insane. A buck converter as a pre-regulator is better, but also more complicated to implement.

No reason you couldn't use lateral FETs for this, and I suspect you could get the current sharing worked out. The bigger issue is that they're (IMO) way too expensive for a power supply.

Yeah, the expense doesn't worry me.

A. They were bought and paid for long ago, so they are effectively free.
B. As a result, it would be more expensive (for me) to buy something else for the job.
C. I have built the amps I bought them for, plus spares for those, as well as some set aside to build Juma's SuSy BF862->OPA1632->Laterals circlotron, as I find that schematic intriguing and then some left over.
D. Moving forward I can't see myself building too many high powered Class A/B amps, as i'm using digital XO and thus it calls for multichannel/ lower individual power-amps.

Got plenty of verticals too, but nothing as beefy as the ALFETs and I suspect they would be more of a PITA to get right, so I figure the time saved its worthwhile by itself.

I dont have a lot of experience with high powered Bipolars, always favoring FETs in my amps, so dont have any stock to draw on.

Yes, I was looking at the various ways of lowering losses for lower VOUT. Since I will likely be running an active bridge, perhaps I can switch the secondaries between series/parallel that way, vs normal relays. Perhaps i'll treat it as a proof of concept for such a design for my amps, allowing lower rails for lower power when the volume is low. The Buck convertor angle is something for another day.