Curve Tracer of LockyZ: Better UI and Translation

Please share your feedback for 3rd-party APP

Hello,

Just want to know and curious,

1. Do you think this 3rd-party mod software of Curve tracer is more user-friendly? or, better than the original?

2. Are you using the modded version?

3. Could you please share any ideas about further improvement?

Lastly, It would be pleasing, glad to see that you can share your screen running with this modded software! This will provide me more power for more frequent update and complete more works.

Just need some sense of achievement for encouraging myself.

Attachments

• offset.png
    offset.png
    496.8 KB · Views: 344
Hi,

hmmm, actually, I am not a software guru; what I am doing is just some low-level modification of exist softwares, using some programs like resoure editor.

So, I am very glad to see the development of the valve tracer, but it seems some Python or other language programing is needed to make a intuitive GUI.

If some people that can write python program, I am happy to help to translate or do the UI optization.

Valve Wizard curve tracer

@electrix:

Programming (and curve tracing) is (more or less) up my alley.

I put together a (toy) tracer a few months ago. (Building an IV plotter from an Arduino Nano - Table of Contents | JRE’s Project Blog)

The PC software is (somewhat) modular, so it shouldn't be too hard to make it operate in its native mode or switch to Valve Wizard mode.

Rodriguez (my transistor curve tracer) already has the difficult parts (graphing and organizing the data) implemented.

I've got other projects I'm working on right now, but in a month or so I'll have those wrapped up so that I can look at new projects.

The only difficulty would be in testing the software. I don't have the hardware, so I'd need to work with someone who has a working Valve Wizard.

-----

From the web page (How to design valve guitar amplifiers) it looks like Valvewizard is going to be taking a long break from this kind of thing.

That could make it difficult to develop software to go with the hardware. I'd really need to have contact with someone who has built a functional Valve Wizard.

Last edited:
> Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler - A. Einstein.

That wasn't Einstein, this is known as Occam's razor. William of Occam, ~1300 AD
"Entia non sunt complicanda praeter neccessitatem." :)

Since my LZ curve tracer was laying open on the shelf & gathering dust, I built it today
into a recycled box that used to contain Pb accumulators for low noise measurements.
They had rotten to zero capacity since I have moved to Li Ion batteries. I also found a
power supply from a HP Business Inkjet that delivers 32 V with "enough" current.
So now it is at least usable without much ado.

Now I'm considering to replace the relays etc with quality parts. Has anybody found
improvements doing this?

Cheers, Gerhard

Hi everyone.
Following this thread I saw that mbrennwa was selling his but came late. Locky_z never asnwered my emails and PMs. The tracer is simply not available... I found the Github project page for the tracer andt here it seems almost everything needed to build a tracer is available, except for the STC FW, plus even if i had that, I have no idea or care to learn how and what hardware is needed to program the 8051 microcontroller, seeing that it is NOT trivial and will likely never again program one of those chips.
Is there any way to build the tracer or to contact Locky that I have not found out yet? Can anyone program a STC controller for the build?
I would obviously prefer to shell out the 225$ that Locky asked for a complete machine that embark in building one.

Yeah so I found that Locky_z never made public the STC FW to protect his IP, which I respect. So the above post is moot. Hopefully, I'll manage to find a decent CT at a reasonable price or I'll just drop it, I really don't NEED a tracer but it would have been nice to learn from one.

Last edited: