Soldering Aluminum Wire - Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had bought rolls (50 grams?) and something which looks like an aluminum felt pen where solder wire exits through the tip.
Must have some leftovers but who will find them?
Never bought a pound or 250 gram roll, that´s for sure.

I think Mterbekke has the real one.

Yes, I used it without extra flux and in fact avoided breathing its smoke.

Plain Rosin is not that bad, althoug "good" ones have nasty "accelerators" or additives such as mercuric chloride but aluminum etching flux usually must dissolve *glass* , not kidding, that´s what the oxide layer is, so at melting temperatures it must release some fluorhydric acid, you can´t beat Chemical Laws.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Pano,.
Dont you remember when these people in Paris started using Isoda cables which had a mix of metals. One of them aluminium and back then you could buy Alusol which has to be used to '' presolder 'the cable before being able to use '' oridinary solder""
Greetings, eduard

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Great News. Sucess!

The Alusol solder just arrived ahead of schedule. Of course I rushed to test it and it works like a charm. Super easy to use and much like any other solder it flows well.

The flux inside does bubble and spit more than normal solder, and it takes a little longer to flow than typical lead/tin, but no real difficulty. See below a quick test solder of the 23 gauge aluminum woofer wire. I tinned both edns then soldered them together.

Thanks so much for recommending this. :up: :up:

For anyone else who needs this I'll put some on the Swap Meet for free, and sell off the rest on Ebay or something. The roll has far more than I'll ever need.

Attachments

• aluminum solder joint.jpg
    aluminum solder joint.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 92
The data for Magna 88 says for use on stainless steel. You use it on Aluminum? With a flux paste?

Yes,I sucessfully soldered a steel nut to an aluminum plate,it was a test equipment chassis.I used flux and lots of heat(propane torch) as the plate was large.I showed it to the welder's in our weld shop and the old hand there was surprised.There should be some info regarding the type of flux,I can't remember offhand but it was Magna flux for sure.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sometimes it's usefull to resolder shortly with ordinary solder..
In fact I did just that. After the ends of the aluminum wire was tinned nomral Kester 63/37 solder did the rest and there was no trouble at all.

So at least for aluminum wire, the special solder is needed only to tin the wire. Once tinned - any wire to terminal or wire to wire joint can be done with standard solder. Soldering copper wire to an aluminum tab might be different.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Pano,
Yesterday i discovered my old alusol stock ( kept in a tiny container with a kind of stuff in the lid to keep it dry inside. I also remember it took some time to get it " flowing " and being noisy. Use it is a kind pre tinning before making a connection with a non aluminium part with ordinary solder..
These Isoda cables guys surely raised some eyebrows in the eighties.
Back then they were not to expensive and surely more interesting than the cables you can buy now delivered in a tropical wood box with gold plated hinges and a proper serial number.
Greetings, Eduard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.