Sketchup alternatives? (Free..)

Hi Guys.

I was a big fan of Sketchup, - until it became an online-tool. I cannot get the online-thing to work properly (UI, shortcuts, mouse... feels wrong).

Whats the free alternatives? 3D preferred, 2D could be acceptable.

I'll be using it to design speakers, boxes and the odd house-renovation once in a while.

Kind regards TroelsM

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I’m in exactly the same boat - totally love Sketchup. Have designed 3 house Renos with it. Not a massive fan of the online tool either.

Can I suggest using an older version of sketchup. The 2018 and 2019 versions are still available to download from their website. I’m still using 2019 - the only issue is that you need a Trimble login to access the 3D warehouse now, but it’s free to get one so no major inconvenience.

So long as it’s not for commercial work, the older versions should be good for years to come.

FreeCAD and OpenSCAD have been suggested.

F360 I've been using for a little while and it's very powerful (but it's worth watching some tutorials and not just diving right in or you can come undone pretty quick) and they haven't hobbled it too much in my opinion.

But I'm probably going to look into FreeCAD and openSCAD now nonetheless. Maybe even Blender although its less CAD oriented.

Tried FreeCAD, and the even comming from other CAD I´m lost!
Tried to download an older version of Sketchup, but every version I can find, require a license ( I dont want a 30 day trial).

Bummer.

Update: Sketchup 2015 appear to be working

Kind regards troelsM

Last edited:
QCAD Pro is decent and definitely affordable ($40).

If you're using CAD for hobby projects, I'd strongly consider Fusion 360. I generally find it worthwhile to learn a transferrable skill when given the opportunity. As said earlier in the thread: Watch some intro videos. There's a Dane living in the US who has some good intro videos on YouTube: Fusion 360 Tutorial for Absolute Beginners— Part 1 - YouTube

Both Fusion 360 and QCAD work with Mac, which I happen to appreciate.

Tom

Last edited: