Do I Need Measurement tools?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i have future goals of building large interesting horns but for the moment I know nothing, have built nothing and don't want to spend money on drivers to learn how to build cabinets if i don't have to when i have a whole bunch of different sized crappy speakers i can pull apart.

Obviously i have no idea of the t/s parameters for any of these drivers i have so i made a cable and used REW to find them. credit and thanks to this video How to measure Thiele Small parameters using your SOUND CARD - YouTube for showing me how to do that.

Now I have designed a reflex cabinet and realized that i want to be able to test it after its built so i started looking at the omnimic v2 that is bundled with the dayton dats v3.

as someone who wants to spend as little as I can during the learning process I'm just wondering if its worth forking out for both the mic AND the DATS v3? Does the DATS v3 do anything REW (with homemade cable) doesnt do? or will i be ok just buying a measurement mic and using REW to find the t/s parameters of my unknown drivers?

Sorry for long winded storey, just wanted to make sure people know my goals :) cheers!

Why not start with cheapest solution and build up a learning curve and interest in the measurement aspect of speaker response in a room. For that you don't per se need a calibrated microphone, or one with a known flat response, as your testing and listening location will most likely swamp measurement response - but that is the learning curve and how you can use your free tools (eg. REW) to try and side-step certain measurement issues, and what home ingenuity can can add to alleviate certain response issues.

So imho, just start off exploring what you can measure with whatever you have available - just reading up on all the techniques and trying to make an actual measurement is really your starting tutorial.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.