Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

RS Pro multimeters any good?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2020, 10:32 PM   #1
invaderzim is offline invaderzim  United States
diyAudio Member

Default RS Pro multimeters any good?

Anyone have experience with RS Pro multimeters?

RS Pro by Allied - 1233239 - IDM71 Handheld Digital Multimeter 6mA 750VAC 1000VDC CAT III CAT IV - Allied Electronics & Automation
Old 4th June 2020, 11:50 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There are some relatively decent multimeters on Amazon for about half the cost that offer similar or better performance.

I have one of these for casual use:

Multimeter, RICHMETERS RM409B True-RMS Digital Multimeter Button 9999 Counts With Analog Bar Graph Temperature Sensor Test AC/DC Voltage Ammeter Current Ohm - - Amazon.com

$42.99

Not my primary meter (Keithley 2002) but surprisingly OK... It's actually a pretty nice meter, comfortable to hold and in direct comparisons with the Keithley and Fluke, quite accurate. (Well really perhaps a bit better than the old Flukes tbh)

Another option with about the same performance as my 409B

RICHMETERS RM111 NCV True-RMS Digital Multimeter Auto Range 9999 counts Temperature Back light AC/DC Voltage Ammeter - - Amazon.com

$29.95

I edited post because I stuck the wrong link in the first time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Richmeter 409B.JPG (62.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg RM111.JPG (38.0 KB, 143 views)
Old 5th June 2020, 12:19 AM   #3
invaderzim is offline invaderzim  United States
diyAudio Member

I do like that the RS Pro lists the accuracy for each measurement in their spec sheet
https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/8ee25...7f4116e1b7.pdf

What I'd really like is a manual ranging one; a couple of times now I've glanced at mine and thought "how am I getting that much volts now?" and then noticed it was mV

The manual ranging ones I've found don't go very high on the capacitance for some reason.
Old 5th June 2020, 12:39 AM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I have a separate capacitance meter because I haven't had a good experience with multimeter based capacitance testers. I have an Agilent U1732B for measuring capacitors.

The Richmeters come with a pretty thick manual which includes a lot of specifications which for the most part I have ignored.

One of the things I find with inexpensive meters is that accidents that don't harm Fluke or BK Precision or Keithley meters generally kill them. I have few accidents but eventually forget to switch ranges and.... well you can guess the rest.. LOL

I'm not a fan of manual ranging meters, but if you must have one the old Fluke bench meters are nice - I'm thinking of 8050 and 8010 (have one of each), they come up used on eBay and elsewhere. The 8050 has nicad batteries (which I had to replace a few years ago, surprisingly they were original to the meter, but I left it on and unplugged a couple of times and they didn't really like that.)
Old 6th June 2020, 05:48 AM   #5
olen is offline olen  United States
diyAudio Member

I’m not familiar with RSPro but $70 seems a bit expensive for what looks to be a very basic meter. You should check out EEVblog and his YouTube reviews of various multimeters. The cheapest DMM EEVblog recommends is a $20 Aneng (I’ve never used one), he also sells his own branded DMMs which I have used and I like very much, you can find them on Amazon with free shipping. If you’re willing to spend more than the RSPro you could get a Fluke 17B+ (I have one and I like it), but the $135 EEVblog BM235 meter has better precision, more features and a very thorough manual: https://www.eevblog.com/product/bm235-multimeter. As for LCR meters I have an Agilent u1732b and. DER EE De-5000, I prefer the $100 De-5000.
Old 6th June 2020, 08:29 PM   #6
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

"RSPro" is obviously RS/Allied's brand-logo on a standard generic meter.

I second the idea to look at EEVblog. I find the guy annoying, but he is usually right, peer-vetted by his huge community of meter-abusers.
  Reply to this post

RS Pro multimeters any good?Hide this!Advertise here!