RS Pro multimeters any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are some relatively decent multimeters on Amazon for about half the cost that offer similar or better performance.

I have one of these for casual use:

Multimeter, RICHMETERS RM409B True-RMS Digital Multimeter Button 9999 Counts With Analog Bar Graph Temperature Sensor Test AC/DC Voltage Ammeter Current Ohm - - Amazon.com

$42.99

Not my primary meter (Keithley 2002) but surprisingly OK... It's actually a pretty nice meter, comfortable to hold and in direct comparisons with the Keithley and Fluke, quite accurate. (Well really perhaps a bit better than the old Flukes tbh)

Another option with about the same performance as my 409B

RICHMETERS RM111 NCV True-RMS Digital Multimeter Auto Range 9999 counts Temperature Back light AC/DC Voltage Ammeter - - Amazon.com

$29.95

I edited post because I stuck the wrong link in the first time.

Attachments

• Richmeter 409B.JPG
    Richmeter 409B.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 222
  • RM111.JPG
    RM111.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 215
I do like that the RS Pro lists the accuracy for each measurement in their spec sheet
https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/8ee25615f41e4788a6e1777f4116e1b7.pdf

What I'd really like is a manual ranging one; a couple of times now I've glanced at mine and thought "how am I getting that much volts now?" and then noticed it was mV

The manual ranging ones I've found don't go very high on the capacitance for some reason.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a separate capacitance meter because I haven't had a good experience with multimeter based capacitance testers. I have an Agilent U1732B for measuring capacitors.

The Richmeters come with a pretty thick manual which includes a lot of specifications which for the most part I have ignored.

One of the things I find with inexpensive meters is that accidents that don't harm Fluke or BK Precision or Keithley meters generally kill them. I have few accidents but eventually forget to switch ranges and.... well you can guess the rest.. LOL

I'm not a fan of manual ranging meters, but if you must have one the old Fluke bench meters are nice - I'm thinking of 8050 and 8010 (have one of each), they come up used on eBay and elsewhere. The 8050 has nicad batteries (which I had to replace a few years ago, surprisingly they were original to the meter, but I left it on and unplugged a couple of times and they didn't really like that.)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I’m not familiar with RSPro but $70 seems a bit expensive for what looks to be a very basic meter. You should check out EEVblog and his YouTube reviews of various multimeters. The cheapest DMM EEVblog recommends is a $20 Aneng (I’ve never used one), he also sells his own branded DMMs which I have used and I like very much, you can find them on Amazon with free shipping. If you’re willing to spend more than the RSPro you could get a Fluke 17B+ (I have one and I like it), but the $135 EEVblog BM235 meter has better precision, more features and a very thorough manual: https://www.eevblog.com/product/bm235-multimeter. As for LCR meters I have an Agilent u1732b and. DER EE De-5000, I prefer the $100 De-5000.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.