Rohde Schwarz R&S UPL Audio Analyzer Renovation

You have to accept old dos memory limitations. UPL system already runs himem extension. When I did Ethernet addition to my UPL I did not test it fully how much memory is available when UPL and maybe Basic is running. I decided not to risc UPL operation and load network drivers and FTP server under DOS when neded.

There must be reason why R&S did not launch Ethernet option but left the Ethernet port unused inside the box.

There was a network option on the UPL if i'm not mistaken. Although i not sure what it meant. populating some connector at the back and installing a driver or something more...

Bart

That is something i still want to try although i might need a serial mouse first to make it a bit more pleasant.

Any experience, is it worth it/workable or is it more a proof of concept?

Cheers,

Bart

Saw one booting Windows 98 at a show a very long time ago. My UPL is the 3rd in the country. And believe to be the last one working.

Very few here and support is limited.

from UPL brochure
With option LAN Interface R&S UPL-
B11, the Audio Analyzer R&S UPL can be
connected to Novell networks in line with
10/100 BASE-T standard in order, for
example, to exchange data or access the
network printer (not for R&S UPL16).
Novell Netware! That is useless today.

About win98, what you need is just
in C:\windows\system.ini [Enh386] section, LocalLoadHigh=1
But I tested it just short period, not full functionality or long time, and not UPL.

from UPL brochure

Novell Netware! That is useless today.

About win98, what you need is just
in C:\windows\system.ini [Enh386] section, LocalLoadHigh=1
But I tested it just short period, not full functionality or long time, and not UPL.

Thanks!

Indeed, then I like the FTP solution much better that was shared in some previous posts.

Any experience in 95?

Bart

Last edited:
UPL Windows 95

Some updates after hours of playing around.

The motherboard i have runs windows 95 very smooth, boot times are fast and i hoped to get the UPL software running on it. I tried the suggestion of Shinja but the UPL software still continued to complain of too less upper memory.

After that i tried running windows 98 but experiences were not that good. graphics were sluggish, long boot times, not that great. Didn't even bother with the UPL software.

Other than getting the UPL working, the network adapter also didn't show up in the device manager and the regular drivers on the internet had no improvement.

Unless somebody has a good clue this trial is done for me.

If everything would run, i still have concerns on the stability, especially because i'm using the B10 option which also requires memory allocations and would make the setup more ciritical.

But i somebody has more experience of information to share I might try it out again in the future.

Cheers,

Bart

Bart did you checked available memory in DOS window by mem command?
But if the network do not work windows will not be a way to go.

Even though I write additional information here for someone to try, what I PMed Bart.
After installing windows, stock R&S config.sys and autoexec.bat is replaced to windows default. You need to revert them first.
Stock R&S autoexec.bat runs UPL software automatically. To go to windows you need to terminate it manually or to stay DOS screen, comment out the line (put "rem")
"upl %UPLCFG%" in the autoexec.bat.
After that type "win"(not win key) and hit enter to go to windows.
These configuration may become more useful using conditional option of config.sys but I did not test. (also mTCP and R&S may be selectable at boot.)

As UPD, it became frastrating slow at boot screen memory check after installing larger memory (64MB), even checking 1MB of memory check in the BIOS. It is one of a reason I gave up windows.
Replacing the motherboard will be the last resort. And I own a socket7 single board computer with a ISA card edge...

Last edited:
I guess I'll stick with a stable DOS then. In the end it's still a measurement device and not a personal computer.

The only thing I was really missing was network connectivity like FTP. With that figured out and working the UPL is now extremely useable.

It is permanently hooked up to my network and whenever I need to organize files or load programs I open up FTP and it simply works.

Anybody has any useful DOS programs that can take advantage of the UPL's framework and network? I was thinking of perhaps printing directly to a network printer, view PCX files, analyze trace files. Some other powerful tools that make sense? One I will explore is Visual basic for DOS. That might seem fun.

Thanks!

Bart

After I made the update to the newer motherboard, I ran it without the CF card with no sweats.

THD+N did not improve. Just the system responsiveness.

Great!

I really like that motherboard. Other than the speed and memory improvements. It makes me sleep a bit better at night knowing the more recent hardware, no moving parts etc. And the abscense of the high pitched noise coming from the cpu fan.

Are you using the HDD or a CF Card?

UPL Analyzer with Serial Mouse

I finally got my serial mouse.

Since i have never seen an example or picture of an UPL working with a Mouse I thought I document it here.

To use it on the DOS system i use the CuteMouse drivers.

You can execute the CTMOUSE.EXE and it should work right away with the UPL.

To make it work after a reboot i added the following line in the AUTOEXEC.BAT

rem run ctmouse to install driver
C:\CTMOUSE\CTMOUSE.EXE

In the UPL environment you obviously see a pointer now. Don't know how much i will use it but at least i know now.

At least the programs inside DOS are now a bit more pleasant.

Software can be found here:

08 CuteMouse - Google Drive

Pictures and a movieclip:

Mouse - Google Drive

I also added some new snapshots of these installations. They can be found here:

VMDK Image Backups - Google Drive

Cheers,

Bart

Oh, one thing I recommend doing before any mod is to save the cal files.

Easiest way is via the Floppy drive already in the unit, a 1.44MB is more than enough.

Scandisk / format first the diskette, to be sure you have a usable media.

There are 10 .cal files.

In DOS prompt,

Code:
cd C:\UPL\REF
copy *.cal A: /v

and that is all. You can do 2 - 3 backups onto several diskettes just to be sure.