New portable oscilloscopes so many types

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m basically new to oscilloscopes….well I have used an old one like 10+ years ago for very basic stuff…. But yeh basically I’m new haha
I was thinking of getting an oscilloscope preferable a portable one a module type to plug into a pc, phone, or even a small hand held would be good as I do repairs at home also so portable would be great!!! I can repair most things without an oscilloscope but sometimes you just need one for in-depth faults etc.... I repair kind of everything (that I can… I’m no pro haha still learning; everyone is!!) but mainly audio equipment.
It maybe a stupid thought but one like this would be a dream!! Looks too good to be true probably cheap and nasty with basic specs haha :eek:
I haven’t done much research yet as I thought to post this first to eliminate a lot of branches if someone can steer me in the right direction.

Any suggestions on which way to go? A good allrounder?

DSO188-03.jpg

Decide what it is you wish to measure, RF and VHF will require a higher band width and more cost.
For audio there are many 20M dual trace machines on the market.
I use a 4 channel Tektronix 150MHz scope as I work on HF. I also use a 2 channel 20MHz scope for general stuff.
The Tektronix cost both one arm and a leg, the smaller one less than £100 GBP.
I used for a short while an ADS5012H 100MHz hand held but it was no good for professional use. They are cost effective around £66 GBP on fleabay.

Joined 2004
Paid Member

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...yeh basically I’m new haha....I’m no pro haha still learning; everyone is!!.... basic specs haha :eek:.....

Ha, ha. Does that cutie HAVE "specs"? Or even a name?

Filling in the knock-knocks: it is a 1MHz machine. Half of all the 'scopes I've used were under 1MHz. Not just the couple 450kHz machines; one crapped-out at 19KHz. Did some service and a LOT of teaching/learning on that one.

Hi Possibly a PICO Scope 2205A. Nice software. A Velleman PCSGU250 has nice software as well. The Pico is about $200, the Velleman about $150. I have used both types. The Velleman has the ability to do Bode Plots in real time ...a nice feature for audio testing.

There is a break point with usb scopes.
Those that are simply a microcontroller with an A2D port or two which tend to be be sub 20 mega-samples/second.
Then those that use fast FPGA and A2D and tend to be more expensive.

I have designed a few up to 23 mega-samples/second.
The microcontroller A2D was too slow (1 meg-samples/second) so used an Anlogue Devices A2D (23 mega-samples/second.)

Ha, ha. Does that cutie HAVE "specs"? Or even a name?

haha so true but probably no specs but dam I just want one for novelty purpose the fun of it lol just looks cool :p

Thanks guys so much!!
The Velleman PCSGU250 looks cool. The Hantek 6102BE looks great too as it’s something I can chuck in my laptop bag and go, or I will probably get a case for it anyway.
I don’t need anything way over the top BUT I would like it to be future proof “to a point” as I don’t know how much in-depth I will get with it, I don’t know…. I’m always repairing stuff and I haven’t had the real need for an oscilloscope “yet” after 20 odd years repairing stuff at home and at work. I’m guessing I’m extremely lucky over the years of repairing stuff that all the faults haven’t required an oscilloscope!! haha so I just have to get my head around the specifications and learn so I can decide on which one to get.

cheers again

I have a Hantek USB scope with four inputs for which I made a short stool-like structure. I fixed the oscilloscope module safely under the top taking care to also fix securely the connecting cable. On top, I fixed a laptop with Windows 7 installed. The laptop will only be used for the oscilloscope. This setup emulates a portable more expensive oscilloscope with the extra benefit of having an adjustable display window.

Attachments

• oscilloscope.jpg
    oscilloscope.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 249
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.