MOUT M4 NOISE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone an idea about the acceptable noise of the M4?

Measured directly at the XLR output, I measure around +- 8mV when the device has started up. This does not change when the computer is on battery, the USB externally supplied, or even USB-cable is conneted only by an high quality PSU.

M4NOISE1: USB supplied by high quality PSU, before M4 has compeletly started up
M4NOISE2: USB supplied by high quality PSU, M4 started up

Therefore, I would consider the noise coming from the M4 itself.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Michael

Attachments

• M4NOISE1.png
    M4NOISE1.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 118
  • M4NOISE2.png
    M4NOISE2.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 114
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Picoscope bandwidth is wide enough that you will see a of of out of band noise. if you lower the bandwidth to 100 KHz you will start to get something useful. However the output noise would be measured using A weighting which would eliminate both HF and LF content. I think there may be a way to do that in their software.

Everyone uses a weighting because the results can be compared meaningfully. Still you need to check output gain levels etc. and also be cautious of ground loops and switching supply noise that will degrade the measurements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.