PCB cleaning with toothbrush

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi all,

my Oral toothbrush's planned obsolescence came up last November. The battery just didn't hold the load anymore and swapping it is possible but well.... I went for a new one (Philips time time). Anyway, I had the idea to use the old brush to clean solder flux, and it works very well. Dispense some isopropyl alcohol on the PCB, start your toothbrush on it and gone is the flux, much easier than by any other method I tried. A second passage eliminate the flux haze and the PCB is nicer than new.

As the battery was dead, I opened the brush as explained here, removed every electronics and the dead battery, and soldered two wires to the motor's taps. It takes 1.2V at about 1.5 - 1.6 A from my lab PSU and works perfectly.

Charles

Attachments

• oral_pcb_cleaning_kit.jpg
    oral_pcb_cleaning_kit.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 330
That is a fine idea! I will try that next time.

I’ve been using denatured alcohol and cotton swabs. Out with the swabs now.

Instead of a second alcohol wash, I’ve had better luck using a foaming bathroom cleaner followed by hot water.

I have an old AA battery powered toothbrush that I use the same way (Colgate) and the great thing is if the brush is pulled off, the metal "driving" pin can also be used to clean thick flux (light pressure only) in hard to reach places. Old dental tools also have their uses in getting into hard to reach places.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.