Need name of Rigol mso5000 crystal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

it says 10.00 8E on the lid of the crystal.
Instead of opening the scope and replacing a decent crystal with a slightly more decent one, I´d rather get me a real 10MHz reference with distribution amp, something like a GPSDXO (GPS-disciplined-XO).
You can then feed all your equipment that features external reference connectors with the same high precision reference clock.
Will in the end probabely also be cheaper than changing all the crystals in Your devices (and still have different clocks in Your measurement setup).

jauu
Calvin

WoW what a great idea!! I have an old GPS 10mHz reference I am about to repair, it's the HP Z3805A.
But how would you use the reference? The scope do not have an external 10mHz in.

Hi,

it says 10.00 8E on the lid of the crystal.
Instead of opening the scope and replacing a decent crystal with a slightly more decent one, I´d rather get me a real 10MHz reference with distribution amp, something like a GPSDXO (GPS-disciplined-XO).
You can then feed all your equipment that features external reference connectors with the same high precision reference clock.
Will in the end probabely also be cheaper than changing all the crystals in Your devices (and still have different clocks in Your measurement setup).

jauu
Calvin

Yes the it's sad but can't it be made?
I mean if you can make an external 10mHz input on other gear, why not a "thingy to plug in" instead of the crystal already there?

Hi,

ah yes, just seen that the MSO8000 seems to be the only new Rigol series with an Ref-In input. what a shame.

jauu
Calvin

the website (rigol.eu) looks new also .... their ridicolous Hello-Kitty-style front panel layout is now transferred to their website.:headbash:

Hi,

yes it should be possible to desolder the original crystal and to mount a short piece of coax cable instead with BNC or SMA connector mounted somewhere on the back front panel. The Osci won´t function without a clock signal on hat line though.
You could design a small pcb with an HF-switch and sensing circuitry that detects and automatically switches over when a external reference is connected. The old crystal then needs to be resoldered on the new pcb also.

jauu
Calvin

I was just thinking of dropping the crystal and only use the external reference, well knowing that the scope will not work without:)
Unfortunately is my skills not good enough to design a usable circuit, do you know how and where to start getting the knowledge and maybe inspirational schematics?

Hi,

yes it should be possible to desolder the original crystal and to mount a short piece of coax cable instead with BNC or SMA connector mounted somewhere on the back front panel. The Osci won´t function without a clock signal on hat line though.
You could design a small pcb with an HF-switch and sensing circuitry that detects and automatically switches over when a external reference is connected. The old crystal then needs to be resoldered on the new pcb also.

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.