Jackson 535A tube tester information

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I just joined the group today and as my name says I am new to working on old radios but I am going to be learning. I have a Westinghouse H164 that belonged to one set of grandparents, a Knight Star Roamer my father built from a kit in the early'70s and I was recently given an old tube tester that belonged to my other grandfather. While information on the two radios has been available the tester is a different story.

It is a Jackson 535A which as near as I can tell was made between 1935 and 1940. I haven't been able to find any information about that model online so I have started emailing people who use, collect or sell vintage tube testers asking for help. In my searching I came across this forum and after reading some posts and threads it looked like a place that might be able to help me find information as well as pointers for working on old tube equipment.

I have no literature for this unit. I would like to rebuild it to working condition simply because it was my grandfathers rather than any practical use I could get out of it. I am hoping to get some leads on where I can get the instructions, reference chartsor schematics. Any help would be appreciated, so far this particular model had been very elusive.

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
This one is an emission type tester. It's a great idea to rebuild it, just don't trust it for service work. If a tube measures bad on it, it's bad. But a tube that measures good may also still be bad.

It's a good brand. I might have the same tester down here somewhere. My plan was to rebuild it as well.

-Chris

Hello Chris,

I took the back off of it the other day, doesn't look too bad. I removed the old 71A tube on general principal and my local electronics store had one in stock. Before I go much further I plan to trace the wiring and make a schematic as I haven't been able to find one. I also found a large 1uf 200V capacitor loose inside, it had come off on both sides. If you do happen to have a 535a in your collection could you please send me a picture of the inside so I can see where the replacement needs to go?

I'll try to upload a couple of pictures of mine. I haven't tried that yet so I might not get it to work.

Thanks for responding,

Scott

Upload of pictures

Attachments

• C:Userssw95338PicturesTube  TesterTube Tester outside small.jpg
    C:Userssw95338PicturesTube TesterTube Tester outside small.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 56
  • C:Userssw95338PicturesTube  TesterTube Tester inside(1).jpg
    C:Userssw95338PicturesTube TesterTube Tester inside(1).jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 44
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.