Need USA citisen help to buy pliers from ebay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good tools can last a lifetime if always used within their design limitations. These 110mm min pliers were brought back from the States in the late 40s/early 50s by my uncle as a gift for my father. He used them extensively and then gave them to me. I have used them in every electronic project I've ever done and for other general tasks. They are still perfectly functional.

Attachments

• Pliers1.jpg
    Pliers1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Pliers2.jpg
    Pliers2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 112
Good tools can last a lifetime if always used within their design limitations. These 110mm min pliers were brought back from the States in the late 40s/early 50s by my uncle as a gift for my father. He used them extensively and then gave them to me. I have used them in every electronic project I've ever done and for other general tasks. They are still perfectly functional.
Exactly good tools is meant for work! But let me guess, your tools is of the good old "made in England"? In my opinion can nothing today, compete with the good old UK tools. What you are owning is Lamborghini in a steel body! :)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...let me guess, your tools is of the good old "made in England"? In my opinion can nothing today, compete with the good old UK tools....

Did you even look at levistubby's words and pictures? "pliers were brought back from the States in the late 40s/early 50s" and 'UNITEDSTATESOFAMERICA'.

The US made some indisputably fine tools for a century. Over 100 tool makes, specific and general.

My Superwrench, 1934-1946, is a wonderful tool. Another is the FORD wrench T1387, standard with every T, which remains top-notch today. And rummaging (most of my best tools are on another job) I found an odd name, J.P. Danielson, which was apparently well respected in its day (this model 1020s-early 1930s). (Mine has the 12-point hanging hole.) I also have J.P.'s bent-nose pliers 1930s to 1942, and regular with herringbone.

Attachments

• SuperWrench-42.jpg
    SuperWrench-42.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 97
  • danielson_adj_12in_wrench_carbon_tw_plain_f_cropped_inset2_w560_h269.jpg
    danielson_adj_12in_wrench_carbon_tw_plain_f_cropped_inset2_w560_h269.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 1911-model-t-ford-adjustable-wrench-b.jpg
    1911-model-t-ford-adjustable-wrench-b.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 43
  • danielson_pliers_parrot_head_cropped_inset2_w560_h240.jpg
    danielson_pliers_parrot_head_cropped_inset2_w560_h240.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 44
  • danielson_pliers_8in_combo_plain_s-6-4_f_cropped_inset2_w560_h261.jpg
    danielson_pliers_8in_combo_plain_s-6-4_f_cropped_inset2_w560_h261.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 45
Did you even look at levistubby's words and pictures? "pliers were brought back from the States in the late 40s/early 50s" and 'UNITEDSTATESOFAMERICA'.

The US made some indisputably fine tools for a century. Over 100 tool makes, specific and general.

My Superwrench, 1934-1946, is a wonderful tool. Another is the FORD wrench T1387, standard with every T, which remains top-notch today. And rummaging (most of my best tools are on another job) I found an odd name, J.P. Danielson, which was apparently well respected in its day (this model 1020s-early 1930s). (Mine has the 12-point hanging hole.) I also have J.P.'s bent-nose pliers 1930s to 1942, and regular with herringbone.
I have to admit I did not zoom in on the pictures. Sorry for that!
Funny thing is that they look exactly like some older English pliers I have seen at a collector before. :)
I have looked at all the pictures, including yours! :)
Today we could easily make tools that would blow the old tools out of the water but Is there any tools today, that do compete with the quality from old time?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...Is there any tools today, that do compete with the quality from old time?

I think the Irega adjustable wrenches beat my older USA adjustable wrenches.

The Irega-made Klein-branded adjustable wrench I have is not one of Irega's best (most advanced) models. Klein's customers want simple and sturdy, are bolting up a ton of transformer, not doing fine wrenching.

I think the Irega adjustable wrenches beat my older USA adjustable wrenches.

The Irega-made Klein-branded adjustable wrench I have is not one of Irega's best (most advanced) models. Klein's customers want simple and sturdy, are bolting up a ton of transformer, not doing fine wrenching.
Okay thanks. May I please ask if it's my philosophy that are strange or I am a sort of right in thinking that if you invest in expensive top brand pliers, should they be able to work all day, every day in a working environment or last a lifetime at a hobbyists table?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You don't own a good tool. You use it, respectfully, and hope it finds another good user after you.

OTOH, it is just a tool. When a job needed a smaller wrench head, I have ground-off large parts of a good wrench to fit the bad space or to fit a pipe extender.

Am I right in that it implys
You don't own a good tool. You use it, respectfully, and hope it finds another good user after you.

OTOH, it is just a tool. When a job needed a smaller wrench head, I have ground-off large parts of a good wrench to fit the bad space or to fit a pipe extender.
That implies I am not buying a workhorse but a collectible, doesn't it? :)

In the last 20 years have I bought the super cheap mini pliers, but am getting tired of them and just want to get some, I know I can relay upon and is made to be used, I am not planning on letting them go on to the next generation in a display case. :)

What do the production places use?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Depending on the production operation you will find different approaches. I have an assortments of cutters and pliers made by ETM who stopped making electronic tools and focused on dental tools only in the 1980's. They have carbide inserts and are pretty great. These came from Lockheed where they were used for missile and satellite work. A friend worked at a company making pacemakers and they also used really premium tools. At the other extreme the low cost production shops use the Xuron type pliers and cutters. Lots less of this stuff today with SMT.

I have some Lindstrom cutters that are really nice. I sent a few really beat up samples back for overhaul and they came back virtually new and I would not hesitate to buy used and get "renewed".

Depending on the production operation you will find different approaches. I have an assortments of cutters and pliers made by ETM who stopped making electronic tools and focused on dental tools only in the 1980's. They have carbide inserts and are pretty great. These came from Lockheed where they were used for missile and satellite work. A friend worked at a company making pacemakers and they also used really premium tools. At the other extreme the low cost production shops use the Xuron type pliers and cutters. Lots less of this stuff today with SMT.

I have some Lindstrom cutters that are really nice. I sent a few really beat up samples back for overhaul and they came back virtually new and I would not hesitate to buy used and get "renewed".
Sorry I am not sure I totally understand the word "approach" in that sentence, but I'll try to specify my expected task.
1) Bending any type of leads on, from small to large components, maybe also steel leads on cheap components from China.
2) Bend braided and solid core wires to make an eye.

3) Straightening leads, wire and so on.
4) Place THT components in PCB holes.
5) Other everyday tasks

I purchased one of these from an auto parts store a few months ago when the subject first came up.
They have held up and still sharp after cutting many component leads.
Purchased another spare pair , impressive for $4.99.

Attachments

• WP_20200323_12_35_33_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20200323_12_35_33_Pro (2).jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 193
1) Bending any type of leads on, from small to large components, maybe also steel leads on cheap components from China.
2) Bend braided and solid core wires to make an eye.

3) Straightening leads, wire and so on.
4) Place THT components in PCB holes.
5) Other everyday tasks

1Audio showed you one tool that work for 3, 4, 5.
Note how this tool is smooth so it won't ruin the
wiring when straightening?

It good for easy reach placement also.

1, 2, require dedicated wire bending tools different
than strait edged pliers. I'll take some pics of mine
to show you these.

PRR - I like some of your vintage tools I also have some as well.

Cheers,

Yes 1Audio did suggest a very fine tool, other have also suggested fine brands. :)
I did search for Lindstrom and that did confuse more then it helped. Some says that they are the best in the world, other say it's a super expensive copy of a junk yard tool, other do again write about other brands, where some again says they are junk. Soooo? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.