Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Audio grade ADCs, PCM4222, AK5572, CS5381, etc...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2021, 08:51 AM   #371
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

I didn't do in-depth measurements, but when I turned on phantom power, a lot of ICs smoked, so I recapped the entire 1820m and replaced some of the JRC2068 with OPA1612, except on the headphone output. That box got really hot, probably greatly contributes to the demise of the cheap caps.
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:18 PM   #372
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Actually anyone can order from ISMOsys and the price is per unit. I had 4 ES9822 Pro arrive this morning and they took about a week to get here from the date they were ordered. I too was surprised at how cost effective these ADCs are given their reputed performance.

Whether or not you are eligible to sign an NDA for the data sheets is another thing but that's up the people at ESS. It doesn't hurt to try. If you have a company email/name or website, of your own, you can go through that would make it easier.
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:19 PM   #373
HpW is offline HpW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
I had 4 ES9822 Pro arrive this morning and they took about a week to get here from the date they were ordered. I too was surprised at how cost effective these ADCs are given their reputed performance.
So measurements to come while ESS with faces

Hp
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:49 PM   #374
diyAudio Member

I will have to contact the ISMOsys representative and ask what kind of data I'm allowed to show. I can't see why my own measurements would be against the NDA as stereophile can perform measurements of gear containing ESS parts.

Without rereading the NDA I do remember there being some section on this and it wasn't promising. Needless to say if it performs well then I can surely say it performs well, go out and get them for yourselves.

What I can say is this chip is very new, even to ESS. I get the impression that, following the fire at AKM, they rushed to get this to market to fill the sudden gap.
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:18 PM   #375
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I saw the NDA form on their web but I could not see the actual NDA... or?

//
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:24 PM   #376
diyAudio Member

They send you the actual NDA to fill in.
Old 24th January 2021, 11:10 AM   #377
HpW is offline HpW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What I can say is this chip is very new, even to ESS. I get the impression that, following the fire at AKM, they rushed to get this to market to fill the sudden gap.
Really promised since x years a new ADC to come..

Stereophile is not under NDA, while testing official gear.. while developer is on NDA and may not able to share the good or even ugly behavior

Funny will be the Hyperstream modulation against the SDM of AKM. While the noise on ESS is almost a step lower. This means also it is the inverse function of the ESS Hyperstream DAC!

Quote:
I had 4 ES9822 Pro arrive this morning and they took about a week to get here from the date they were ordered. I too was surprised at how cost effective these ADCs are given their reputed performance.
So the question rises: Do you build your own ADC PCB (for measurement or recording) as based on Evaluation, somewhat else and/or may share the purpose of..

Some are already nervous, while AKM ADC get's rare on sky

Hp
Old 24th January 2021, 06:25 PM   #378
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I have not seen mentioned ADS127L01. The syn08's measurements look quite interesting.
Old 24th January 2021, 06:39 PM   #379
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
diyAudio Member

Indeed, the ADS127L01 looks almost to good to be true . I would think nobody in the audio world looks at the industrial grade ADCs, since they cannot claim any outlandish performance they could get due to all sort af audio grade tricks, like noise shaping out from the audio band, etc... Plus the lack of a nice "audio grade" story about TI, log story short, the TI parts look boring and bland.

I have to admit, after quite some experimenting with, I don't really understand how this ADC is working in frame mode, in particular at 384KHz. At 384KHz it works perfectly with the master clock set to 12.272MHz, oversampling set to x32 and the bit clock set at 24.576MHz. Question is, who's feeding the output at that bit rate, doesn't make much sense to me, I would expect the master clock to be larger (double) or at least equal to the bit clock. Must be some sort of double buffering inside that is not mentioned in the data sheet.
Old 24th January 2021, 06:57 PM   #380
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

IIUC the bitclock just reads out samples from the internal buffer. 32 bits are read from each of the 1-channel chips, the master clock seems just right to clock 32 bits into the output buffer in one frame.

Audio grade ADCs, PCM4222, AK5572, CS5381, etc...Hide this!Advertise here!