ADCs and DACs for audio instrumentation applications

Check out DS: ADS127L01 SBAS607B – APRIL 2016 – REVISED SEPTEMBER 2016,
front page, and p.16-17.
Second law of thermodynamics says -160dB is impossible.

You are confusing the ADC quantization noise floor with the FFT noise floor.

ADC RMS quantization noise = FFT noise floor + 10*log(65536/2) = -160dB + 45dB = -115dB

which is nothing outstanding for a 24bit ADC (theoretical 6.02*24+1.76 = 146dB). The magic starts under -120dB

Last edited:
I did take a look at the ADS127L0, this is quite noisy ADC SNR 115db, if you'll check other ADCs(over 120db range) like PCM4222 or AK5578 you'll find much less than -140db noise-floor without Boltzmann constant trimming or elementary charge boosting in the flux-capacitor :cheers:

Do you have a SNR frequency sweep of the ES9822PRO @192KHz SR? I would like to see it.

I want to see if the ES9822PRO has any audio band noise shaping. That would make it useless for instrumentation purposes, which is what I am looking for (and the reason why I used the ADS127L01). The only audio grade ADC I've seen, not having some form of noise shaping, was the AK5394, now defunct.

Last edited:
Thanks, no noise shaping, this is great. All other audio ADCs available today look more or less like in the attachment. This is for an otherwise very good audio ADC, from AKM. Perhaps the ES9822PRO has a programmable digital filter to implement (or not) noise shaping, hope to find out when I'll get the datasheet.

Attachments

• focusrite.jpg
    focusrite.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 250
I did take a look at the ADS127L0, this is quite noisy ADC SNR 115db, if you'll check other ADCs(over 120db range) like PCM4222 or AK5578 you'll find much less than -140db noise-floor

...after noise shaping, which is, in my book, only a trick to get the audio band SNR datasheet bragging rights.

Check the PCM4222 noise floor over 50KHz @192KHz sampling rate. Then care to integrate the noise up to 90KHz and figure out which has actually the lower noise. Hint: the ADS127L01 is much better with its apparently poor 115dB SNR spec, the PCM4222 doesn't go over 110dB before noise shaping..

Don't tell me SNR at these levels matters for audio, it's well under the CD SNR anyway, and I don't recall anybody complaining about CDs being noisy.

Ok, so where do I apply for the data sheet? I applied on the Ismosys web site, is that all I have to do? I was able to make the payment for the chips using my bank's online services, so now I'm waiting for the Ismosys confirmation.

On the ismosys webshop, when you click on the es9822 page, there's a link that says product datasheet (NDA required). I clicked on that and filled it in. That set the balls in motion for signing the NDA although it wasn't straightforward. The EU representative had to pull some strings to get things to happen and that's something I'm very grateful for.

Good luck.