ADCs and DACs for audio instrumentation applications

One way to lower the higher harmonics of ES9038Q2M is to lower the DAC clock albeit with some increase in noise floor.
Here is the same setup with 11.2896MHz clock (earlier was 45.1584MHz). Also the input is now -1dBFS. With these changes the result meets PMA's requirements :)

Yes, this looks good and it keeps good dynamic range (low N).

Have you tried HF linearity with clk/4 frequency, at least with 19+20kHz test? Would it be possible to make a meaningful THD20kHz test?
With 192k sample rate the ES9038Q2M DAC clock needs to be at least 36.864MHz so clk/4 does not work with 192k in my setup. Here is the CCIF IMD at 192k with 45.1583MHz clk (no divider).
ES9038Q2M-L_-3dBFS_ES9822PRO-L_192k_CCIF.png

Synchronous mode can work with higher frequency clocks works so long as they are integer multiples of the minimum synchronous clock frequency. IIRC ESS told the Twisted Pear guys about that. Alternatively, the internal MCLK divider can be used to lower the internal clock frequency.

As an aside, these DACs tend to sound better in synchronous mode, or at least if in asynchronous mode, then with DPLL_Bandwidth set to the minimum stable value as ESS recommends. DPLL_Bandwidth very stable at a setting of 0x01 can sound similar to synchronous mode.

Also, and again IIRC, a lot of the conclusions KSTR posted at ASR about ES9038Q2M has been known by Allo for a long time, at least in practice. They know about slight filtering before the I/V opamps, not enough to cause gain peaking issues, and they use further passive filtering before the difference stage. The latter stage was found to be more sensitive to RF noise, perhaps since its inputs operate in common mode. To be clear, not saying Allo looked at residuals, just that they figured out what works using the instrumentation they have, and by listening.

Last edited:
these DACs tend to sound better in synchronous mode,
Better to you? OK, fine. But what does that really mean for the quality of sound replaying device? As the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Without a reference point, saying that something is better doesn't mean anything to others who weren't there when you listened to it.

Synchronous mode can work with higher frequency clocks works so long as they are integer multiples of the minimum synchronous clock frequency. IIRC ESS told the Twisted Pear guys about that. Alternatively, the internal MCLK divider can be used to lower the internal clock frequency.
This seems to be correct. Here is the CCIF@192k with ES9038Q2M in synchronous mode using 49M MCK with divider 2. Also 96k and 48k work with this setting. The improvement is only marginal but maybe with a better clock more improvement could be possible.

ES9038Q2M-L_-3dBFS_ES9822PRO-L_192k_CCIF_SYNC.png

I have a question regarding ES9038Q2M. My take on ES9038Q2M is basically very similar to ESS evaluation board. I'm using OPA1612 as the AVCC buffer (OPA1612 in that spot resulted in lowest noise) and OPA1656 as IV and summing opamps. I noticed that when lowering the opamp power supply from +/-15V the loopback noise floor worsened by about 0.5dB (+/-12V) or 1dB (+/-9V) but THD remained the same. What might be the cause for this?

Here is the 1k@88k2 loopback at -1dBFS with some C2/C3 compensation. Not spectacular but that may be partly due to ADC (AK5394).
View attachment 1035619

Hi Bohrok2610,
Do you use ebay ES9038Q2M with external IV circuit or your own board to get this result?

It is part of a measurement setup / standalone dac I've been working on for my own use. The setup currently includes
  • STM32F723 based USBI2S bridge (I2S input & output) & controller. Shown e.g. here. Capable of 384k/32 play&rec and 768k/32 play.
  • DAC boards (AK449x, ES9038Q2M)
  • ADC boards (AK5394, ES9822PRO)
  • SPDIF boards
  • STM32F030 controller board for SPDIF standalone dacs.

Schematic of the DAC board in attachment. Some components are not according to schematic (e.g. board has OPA1656 as opamps and LP5907 regulators for DVDD/VCCA).

Attachments

• es9038q2m_v2a.pdf
    184.1 KB · Views: 218
Reactions: 1 users