Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

How to use M-Audio 192 soundcard with my laptop?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2019, 03:07 AM   #1
dbxdx5 is offline dbxdx5
diyAudio Member

Default How to use M-Audio 192 soundcard with my laptop?

I currently have an old M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard installed in an even older Lenovo desktop computer.

M-Audio Audiophile 192

I also have a more recent Asus Zen book laptop. My question: Is there a way to retrofit the 192 into an outboard box that I can plug into a USB port in my laptop?
Old 4th December 2019, 05:28 AM   #2
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes. You will need to do some research but there are several options. New they seem to run from around $300 to over $1K. Ebay may have some options. You would need either USB 3 at a minimum or some other high speed buss to get it working. It may be easier and more practical to get a decent 192 USB interface like the Focusrite.
Old 4th December 2019, 07:19 AM   #3
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Demian is right, resale value of your vintage PCI soundcard is similar to purchase value of a decent pre-owned USB soundcard.

No simple way for a PCI soundcard on a USB-only notebook.
Old 4th December 2019, 01:10 PM   #4
dbxdx5 is offline dbxdx5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reality check. I mostly use the M-Audio for recording from an analog source (tape, vinyl) and testing said equipment with software, such as a wow and flutter gui. I'd like to stay at or under $100, and so something like the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 is a little out of my budget. I'd like to stay at 24 bit, 192 kHz with 1/2" balanced inputs like the M-Audio. If anyone has experience with anything that fits the bill, let me know.
Old 4th December 2019, 01:22 PM   #6
dbxdx5 is offline dbxdx5
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I should have mentioned it needs to be new, as this is going to be a present from someone else to me, and they don't deal with ebay.

How to use M-Audio 192 soundcard with my laptop?Hide this!Advertise here!