Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Dayton Audio DATS & Omnimic
Dayton Audio DATS & Omnimic
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Vortex is online now Vortex  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vortex Dayton Audio DATS & Omnimic
Default Dayton Audio DATS & Omnimic

Dear All,

if I want to test my father's old bass and midrange drivers (and maybe redesign his 3-wawy boxes) am I better with DATS or Omnimic ?

I'm thinking about if there are any overlappings between the 2 tools. According to my understanding, DATS is more of a speaker driver test and measurement tool (measuring real T/S Parameters too - I'll need it, these drivers have no datasheet at all) ... while Omnimic is rather a room measurement system for whole ready setups, producing some useful stats and showing us weak points which can (or need to be) compensated via DSP.

The question is:

1) is DATS alone capable of measuring frequency curve ? (SPL) OR do I need Omnimic (and a good silent echo-less room) for that ?

2) is Omnimic alone able to measure T/S Parameters of a bass driver while being capable of doing a lot of other stuff too ?
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #2
BaffleChallenged is offline BaffleChallenged  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Vortex,
if you have a multimeter, a sine wave generator a 10ohm 1/2 watt resistor and an amplifier, you can measure T/S parameters manually. It takes more time but cheaper than DATS.

Measuring Loudspeaker Driver Parameters
If you are serious about loudspeaker measurement, you will need one such as emm6 that is used with a sound card as to get a timing reference.
USB microphone may have the phase information normalized by the software.

Dayton Audio DATS & OmnimicHide this!Advertise here!