Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Audio Precision "bandpass" question w macros
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2019, 01:54 AM   #1
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Precision "bandpass" question w macros

mbe it's just me. i can get a macro sweep to read the "amplitude levels" of channels A and B, but it gets cranky when I try to read the "bandpass" level of the same channels via stereo sweep. the error message pops up and the check-box is "unchecked".

i can adjust the sweep panel by hand for "stereo sweep" in bandpass but not via macro.

Bandpass gives a lot more precision that Amplitude Level.
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:52 AM   #2
Audio1Man is offline Audio1Man  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Jackinnj

You can't read the same channel in stereo mode. Stereo mode reads CH A then switches to CH B. The THD, BP, AWT or ? in stereo mode alternates CHA then CHB. (note if you start with CHB then is switched to CHA

If you want to read CHA 2 times then use append and restart the sweep or use the macro.

Duke
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:07 AM   #3
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
mbe it's just me. i can get a macro sweep to read the "amplitude levels" of channels A and B, but it gets cranky when I try to read the "bandpass" level of the same channels via stereo sweep. the error message pops up and the check-box is "unchecked".

i can adjust the sweep panel by hand for "stereo sweep" in bandpass but not via macro.

Bandpass gives a lot more precision than Amplitude Level.
Jack, since there is only one bandpass filter shared between channels, you must switch the bandpass filter/reading to the other channel before you can read it. I guess the stereo sweep test does that automagically but in a macro you must do it explicitly.
Could that be it?

Jan
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1Man View Post
Hi Jackinnj

You can't read the same channel in stereo mode. Stereo mode reads CH A then switches to CH B. The THD, BP, AWT or ? in stereo mode alternates CHA then CHB. (note if you start with CHB then is switched to CHA

If you want to read CHA 2 times then use append and restart the sweep or use the macro.

Duke
Works outside of the macro -- i.e. when manually enabling stereo check box and bandpass function -- it reads channel A and then channel B (or vice versa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Jack, since there is only one bandpass filter shared between channels, you must switch the bandpass filter/reading to the other channel before you can read it. I guess the stereo sweep test does that automagically but in a macro you must do it explicitly.
Could that be it?

Jan
Within the macro, I can read the levels of Channel A, Channel B (Ap.Anlr.FuncMode=0) with no difficulty inserting Ap.Sweep.Stereo=True

When I change the function mode to Ap.Anlr.FuncMode=1, an error message is generated and the stereo box is unchecked.

Perhaps as Duke suggess, use two For-Next loops and append instead of trying to do it in swoop.
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:15 PM   #5
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

I remember reading about it in the User Guide:

Some reading parameter selections (such as Phase or DCX-127 DMM Volts) are not stereo signals. If you select such a parameter for Data 1 or Data
2, the stereo sweep function will not be available.

Are you trying to read phase or another non-stereo signal?

Then again, the unit has two level meters, one for each channel. It only has ONE bandpass/bandreject filter (FuncMode=1) which is switched between channels. Gut feeling that that has to do with it.

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 22nd October 2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
I remember reading about it in the User Guide:

Jan
...and I'm the one always telling folks to read the instructions...

Audio Precision "bandpass" question w macrosHide this!Advertise here!