Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Burning Amp Workshops
Burning Amp Workshops
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2019, 07:29 PM   #11
xaled is offline xaled  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
We should be able to post the PowerPoint we will be working from. There will be a recording that should be available.
This is great, thank you. Let us know if you would accept donations in some way.

Thanks,
Denis
Old 21st October 2019, 08:36 PM   #12
thompsontechs is offline thompsontechs
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaled View Post
This is great, thank you. Let us know if you would accept donations in some way.

Thanks,
Denis

Thanks!!!
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:33 PM   #13
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromenuts View Post
I registered for this seminar.

I am curious as to what equipment/software will be used.

The only resources I have for measurement currently are a MiniDSP UMIK-1 and the open source Room EQ Wizard.

It took me a while to even get REW to function with the UMIK on my older Windows Vista laptop.

Eventually, by following some of the tutorials on the MiniDSP website, I was able to take some frequency sweep measurements of a speaker project and attempt to make some adjustments with a B5 active crossover.

I am a complete novice at measurement. I’ve seen it mentioned that REW could also be used to measure certain aspects of amplifiers. I think the complexity of the software and process has discouraged me from learning and doing more.

For instance. I took several near field and listening position measurements of my front horns, slot loaded bass units and subwoofer in order to try and figure out what to do about adjusting the crossover, gain settings and any filters available.

Ultimately, I felt like I wasn’t taking measurements correctly.

My adjustments to try and obtain a flatter frequency response made the system sound worse.

I was unable to figure out how to measure the different parts of the system in the same manner I am used to seeing published as dB for a 1 watt input at 1 meter. They each had there own amplifier and gain settings.

Eventually I read that room response was the cause of my unsatisfactory results and that I needed to strive for a response that rolled off toward the high frequencies.

This left me in the position of feeling like I was “winging it” by ear.
Firstly, thank you for organising the workshop. Even though you made it tough because I had the angst of choosing between this and the build workshop.

I've signed up and I'd echo chromenuts comments.

It would be great if the workshop used DIY level tools that are preferably easy to use, freeware or low cost software employing low cost and DIY (where possible) interface and testing hardware. I'd like to be able to walk away from the workshop with the knowledge to run basic tests to help me build gear and troubleshoot problems if/when they arise.

I've got a 2020 plan to build a BA-3 pre-amp. The build guide recommends final set up based on measured distortion and harmonics. It's that sort of practical knowledge that I'd like to gain.

Looking forward to the session.

Last edited by astromo; 23rd October 2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:23 PM   #14
thompsontechs is offline thompsontechs
diyAudio Member

@Astromo

I agree... It would be nice to have something the DIY community could put together and use for a reasonable price. I would think this is their intent.
Old 27th October 2019, 03:33 AM   #15
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Burning Amp Workshops
I have been struggling through the learning curves for Omnimic, ARTA and REW. All these programs do similar things but get there in different ways. At present I plan to use Praxis for the speaker testing because I know it well and can make many measurements quickly with it. I'll try to include some screenshots of both ARTA and REW where relevant but I want to focus on technique and setup which is common to all of the programs.

For electronic testing we will use the QA401 because its light, small, flexible and DIY accessible. Its not the cheapest but will get you results quickly. And you can use it with ARTA (and Virtins, DiANA, etc.) if you want.
Old 27th October 2019, 04:45 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
I have been struggling through the learning curves for Omnimic, ARTA and REW. All these programs do similar things but get there in different ways. At present I plan to use Praxis for the speaker testing because I know it well and can make many measurements quickly with it. I'll try to include some screenshots of both ARTA and REW where relevant but I want to focus on technique and setup which is common to all of the programs.

For electronic testing we will use the QA401 because its light, small, flexible and DIY accessible. Its not the cheapest but will get you results quickly. And you can use it with ARTA (and Virtins, DiANA, etc.) if you want.

Thanks for listening.

Sounds sensible and a reasonable compromise given your constraints..
Old 30th October 2019, 01:24 AM   #17
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you going to have power there or is PG&E going to shut if off?
The reason I ask is I'm interested in attending but don't want to fly in
from Texas only to have no power.
Old 30th October 2019, 01:34 AM   #18
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Burning Amp Workshops
San Francisco has had no power interruptions. Its extremely unlikely that there would be one there. You need to go into the more suburban areas where the wind could knock down power poles and start a fire. Ft. Mason is on the water so that won't happen.
Old 9th November 2019, 05:37 PM   #19
chromenuts is offline chromenuts  United States
diyAudio Member

I brought a phono amp I built based on one of the Boozehound Labs kits for display tomorrow.

The original circuit the kit was based on is supposed to be the Le Pacific JFET RIAA by Mr Walters according to the DIYAudio site.

Is this something I could bring for measurements today?
Old Today, 09:55 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Credit where it's due (even if a little late), a big thank you to Demian and Bob for sharing their experience and parting with their time for the workshop.

I gained a lot. The people perspective was the real cherry on the cake. Far more engaging that way and a great way to meet new faces.

Burning Amp WorkshopsHide this!Advertise here!