Help to get a bench power supply:-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It strikes me that a useful device would be a variable dual voltage regulator with adjustable current limit that can be inserted between a units power supply and amp boards - after all you've got raw DC power available.

In other words something more refined than just interposing a few hundred ohms resistor between supply and amp board and with current metering.

It strikes me that a useful device would be a variable dual voltage regulator with adjustable current limit that can be inserted between a units power supply and amp boards - after all you've got raw DC power available.

In other words something more refined than just interposing a few hundred ohms resistor between supply and amp board and with current metering.
Interesting idea, I am not sure if I understand completely. Do you mean a voltage regulator between my other 0-15V power supply and the DUT?

I am mystified as to why you need so much current? I'd have thought 2 or even 5 amps would be absolutely plenty for prototyping and fault finding, situations where you are going carefully to avoid damage. Here current limiting is far more useful.
I have four regulated supplies, a +-30V 2A dual supply that is current regulated, a 160V 0.2A supply and two 500V 0.2A supplies none of which are controlled current so you have to wind up the voltage and monitor very carefully. I reach for the 30V first every time I can possibly use it!
I've looked at those high volt high current fully regulated switchers but they're expensive and noisy, some of them need a dedicated supply spur as they pull over 13A. They are all pretty noisy, whilst there's low mV noise on my 500V supplies. Which will be better for fault finding?

I am mystified as to why you need so much current? I'd have thought 2 or even 5 amps would be absolutely plenty for prototyping and fault finding, situations where you are going carefully to avoid damage. Here current limiting is far more useful.
I have four regulated supplies, a +-30V 2A dual supply that is current regulated, a 160V 0.2A supply and two 500V 0.2A supplies none of which are controlled current so you have to wind up the voltage and monitor very carefully. I reach for the 30V first every time I can possibly use it!
I've looked at those high volt high current fully regulated switchers but they're expensive and noisy, some of them need a dedicated supply spur as they pull over 13A. They are all pretty noisy, whilst there's low mV noise on my 500V supplies. Which will be better for fault finding?
Most of the time do I not need high current but a few times are they handy, almost necessary. Yes they are wary expensive, normally from slightly above 2,000$ and to the sky! I am so lucky that I am able to run my lab from a dedicated 3x16A phase circuit, so no problem:)
An alternative solution would be to make my variable 15V/60A to a +45 / ±22.5 / 20A but that sounds like a high current buck boost converter with a negative rail?

I'm baffled on your requirements regarding psu, but it's a free choice, and if you feel the need to spend that amount of cash on psu, well go ahead, should be possible to find a top notch psu used for 2000 us dollar.
LOL I am not wary happy to have to use that amount of money, it's why I ask here. :) Is there a PSU with keypad, ±25V 20A. If it was not for the money, I could just buy one of the "cheap" PSU that YouTuber: "the signal path" is playing with, I think he has a nice model to about 6,000$ used!

Psu

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191018-140636_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20191018-140636_eBay.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 124
If it was me I would buy two maybe four of theese and an old amplifier chassis to fit it all in.
D6015a, maybe add some better cooling.
50mv p2p ripple, most amps dont mind a bit of noise, cmrr.
That would make a vertisale and powerfull psu, with ttl for computer control.
Look that's what I call a great idea! :)
Now a stupid sounding question but you can often buy units, like these or more fancy models from Rigol, BK and many more. They can often be put in series or parallel, but is it possible to combine my PSU 15V 60A with lets say a 30V 5A to get 45V 65A, maybe combined with a sort of rail splitter to get -50%V / +50%V?

I'm not sure I got your question, but the buck module shown I think is a step down, so in order to max it out you will need a dc supply that delivers maybe 10 percent more, so what's needed is a powerful transformer 50 to 65 volt ac rectified and capacitors, around 1000uf per ampere.

I'm not sure I got your question, but the buck module shown I think is a step down, so in order to max it out you will need a dc supply that delivers maybe 10 percent more, so what's needed is a powerful transformer 50 to 65 volt ac rectified and capacitors, around 1000uf per ampere.
What I meant was: You can buy PSU's in all sort of configurations and all sort of prices. If you buy two or more, you can often put them in series or parallel and even make negative and positive rails from them.
My question is what if I went out and bought a random PSU like a 30V 5A and just did put it in series with my 15V 60A PSU?
Would I get 45V 65A or magic smoke? :)

I would strongly advise against using different smps in series, it creates imbalance, what I mentioned before was theoretical, two different psu, one low current one high current in series, max current will depend on the weakest part.
Theres tons of reading material online regarding psu in series/parallel I suggest spending a few hours of reading and digesting.

I would strongly advise against using different smps in series, it creates imbalance, what I mentioned before was theoretical, two different psu, one low current one high current in series, max current will depend on the weakest part.
Theres tons of reading material online regarding psu in series/parallel I suggest spending a few hours of reading and digesting.
LOL I have a lot of reading to do in a lot of subjects, but sometimes is it safer to ask about a helping hand:) My goal is to experiment and learn from my errors, just not when it is about safety or voltage near or over 50V.

What I meant was: You can buy PSU's in all sort of configurations and all sort of prices. If you buy two or more, you can often put them in series or parallel and even make negative and positive rails from them.
My question is what if I went out and bought a random PSU like a 30V 5A and just did put it in series with my 15V 60A PSU?
Would I get 45V 65A or magic smoke? :)
In your example here, your 15v psu would see a lot more than 15v, not good.
Also be sure psu output are redundant, isolated from grid, and equal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.