Is DATS required?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Is getting a DATS (v3 is coming) required for speaker impedance etc measurements or a combination of:

1) REW + sound card and 0.1% resistors
2) signal generetor + scope (multi channel)

is more than ok to do good crossovers etc?

What more do you get from DATS? (apart from the easy to use maybe)

DATS can measure impedance as function of frequency. It is one example of a tool to do this. You can do the same with a sound card, an Arta switch box and a single ended amplifier. The Arta switch box primarily is a resistor, that is put in series with the device under test. DATS v3 basically is an Arta switch box, an amplifier and a sound card in one handy box, bundled with software. A scope and signal generator are not necessary, a pc + sound card suffice.

For designing crossovers, you would also need a sound card, a measurement microphone and software for making frequency response measurements. Pick a microphone that is supplied with an individual calibration file.

Last edited:
thanks for your reply,
Let me rephrase a bit.

I do have a sound card + flat mic, scope and signal gen (as I do DIY ham radio things).
REW had a page for measuring impedance over freq without a power amp (if I'm not mistaken). via a 'line out + line in' or headphones out and line in (just add more resistance).

Is this REW reading ok for XO building? or a power amp is needed?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I always did it with a Heath sine generator (eventually modified with internal 1W power amp), any small handy resistor, and AC voltmeter. (I could get a rough idea between the Heath's internal 100r resistor and the loaded meter voltage.)

Reading with a resistor means doing math on the voltage to get resistance. However for most loudspeaker purpose you really only need to figure at the dips and peaks of the curve. If you are very math-averse, try various resistors in place of the speaker and note the voltages.

If you need fancy graphs for your sales brochure, then yes a PC is cheaper than an artisan draftsman.

Hi all,

Is getting a DATS (v3 is coming) required for speaker impedance etc measurements or a combination of:

1) REW + sound card and 0.1% resistors
2) signal generetor + scope (multi channel)

is more than ok to do good crossovers etc?

What more do you get from DATS? (apart from the easy to use maybe)

I've been using DATS v2 for a few years and find that it is not only accurate and convenient for testing drivers and speaker systems, but it can accurately measure low value resistors, inductors, and capacitors. If you build passive crossovers, it is nice to have away of measuring and testing those components. Another useful feature is the voice coil rub test that will let you know if there's a problem with a drivers' voice coil. It does not need a sound card.
Just looked at DATS v3 at Parts Express and it looks an impressive upgrade from v2...I might just get me one.
Dayton Audio DATS V3 Computer Based Audio Component Test System

Mike

Last edited:
Dats looks like a easy system to use, but it seems to lack the accuracy just like other packages when dealing with high Qms drivers, i am not sure if it is the low drive level or the signal type used or a combo of both, high level stepped sine seems to measure these drivers best / most accurate

REW had a page for measuring impedance over freq without a power amp (if I'm not mistaken). via a 'line out + line in' or headphones out and line in (just add more resistance).

Is this REW reading ok for XO building? or a power amp is needed?
Using a power amplifier is preferabele. That would allow you to measure with a stronger signal and have a higher signal-to-noise ratio. Impedance measurements at a low signal level can be acceptable, but acoustic measurements will contain too much ambient noise.

Assuming you do not have access to an anechoic room, the software must support time gating to gate out reflected sound. I do not know if REW supports it.

, but acoustic measurements will contain too much ambient noise.

Assuming you do not have access to an anechoic room, the software must support time gating to gate out reflected sound. I do not know if REW supports it.

Power amp for acoustic measurements I have. I also have a good mic.
The only thing I dont have a dedicated tool is DATS's impedance over frequency reading.

any driver with a narrow and peaky resonance curve, like many of sb acoustics drivers

OK...I guess I was asking for more specific information about what actually constitutes a high Qms driver...how high of a peak @ how narrow a bandwidth? I ask because I've never seen a disparity between acoustic and electrical measurements on what I considered were fairly high Q drivers.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.