Speaker Level ducker circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 7 channels of audio coming out of my amplifier, all 7 channels are independent playing different sources. I would like to have a 2nd source also amplified feed into one of the 7 speakers, but have ALL speakers turn down to around half volume or something to allow the paging source take over temporary.

Is there a device that will do that? I am willing to daisy chain if needed, but want the paging source to only come from one speaker.

I have 7 channels of audio coming out of my amplifier, all 7 channels are independent playing different sources. I would like to have a 2nd source also amplified feed into one of the 7 speakers, but have ALL speakers turn down to around half volume or something to allow the paging source take over temporary.

Is there a device that will do that? I am willing to daisy chain if needed, but want the paging source to only come from one speaker.

Normally you'd use compression for this.

The patch is the same as used by radio dj's and aka sidechain compression or ducking.
Normally a compressor reacts to its own input, but now you use a different signal to trigger compression. The audio goes through the compressor without the compressor doing anything. The voice of the dj goes to the audio output to be heard, but also to the compressors side chain input. Now as soon as the dj talks the music goes down in volume.

You do the same for the 6 normal channels, put them through compressors and feed the 7th signal into the sidechain input of the compressors. Tada...

You can do this with free available software, no need to spend money.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.