Square wave question (Wavetek 288)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have been looking for a signal/function generator to do some square wave testing. I got a good deal on a Wavetek 288 and figured I'd be in business. However, when I hooked it up, even the 100hz square wave was showing a decent amount of attenuation. I've included some photos.

Is this normal? I've seen tests on amplifiers with 20hz square waves looking fine. What generator will give me a good enough signal to really see what is going on in the lower frequencies?

* To clarify...the function generator is hooked up directly to the o-scope, not being run through another device.

Attachments

• 100hz.jpg
    100hz.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 50hz.jpg
    50hz.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 20hz.jpg
    20hz.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks! That was actually the first thing I did when I brought the scope home. Although one seems to be broken now. It appears locked into the proper compensation, but when I turn the screw nothing happens anymore. It was free (came w/ the scope), so no biggie.

BTW, these measurements were just with a bnc-rca connector and a cable between function generator and scope.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting. I did try 10x probes while AC coupled and the square wave attenuation was identical to using the cable. Surprised that 1hz didn't have a better response than 10hz. Of course the level isn't mentioned in that frequency response. Might be 3db down in either case.

Interesting. I did try 10x probes while AC coupled and the square wave attenuation was identical to using the cable. Surprised that 1hz didn't have a better response than 10hz. Of course the level isn't mentioned in that frequency response. Might be 3db down in either case.
Well, as you know the square wave is square in DC mode, you could probably figure it out [emoji848]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.