Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

need help with new workbench
need help with new workbench
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2019, 04:50 PM   #1
djn is online now djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default need help with new workbench

Hi All, after years of building audio stuff I decided I was going to learn how to test it before I blew speakers

I have a good soldering iron, two good Oscopes, an old electronics workbench from Los Alamos, a Veriac, drawers of hand tools.

What else do I need.....like signal generator and such.

I am just now setting up my audio room after moving from Michigan to Albuquerque and have 3 amp projects and one active tube crossover project that I'd like to get on.
Old 11th July 2019, 05:12 PM   #2
Duke58 is offline Duke58  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi DJN- at least one multimeter, a signal generator, 4 and 8 ohm load resistors. A distortion analyzer and tube tester are nice tools to have. There are PC based signal generators, analyzers available, but I'm old and old school, so I prefer analog meters. Make sure that Los Alamos bench doesn't glow at night.
Old 11th July 2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Duke58 is offline Duke58  United States
diyAudio Member

Might want to include a DC power supply.
Old 11th July 2019, 06:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention that I have a good multimeter.
Old 11th July 2019, 06:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yep, I'm old school too.
Old 12th July 2019, 07:02 AM   #6
Jazid is offline Jazid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A bunch of high voltage, ideally silicone leads with various terminations to make life quicker.

If possible a differential probe for the scope would be a godsend, I wish I had one.

I find at least two multimeters essential, so I can measure how two variables play out at the same time.

Whilst spending your money I also wish I had an IR remote thermometer, one of those things with a screen so you can see component temperatures. I have never used one but imagine its handy for reduction of magic smoke.
Old 13th July 2019, 01:05 AM   #7
WntrMute2 is offline WntrMute2  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm lurking here for advise too. Too bad we don't have you at meets any longer !
Old 13th July 2019, 01:13 AM   #8
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
If possible a differential probe for the scope would be a godsend, I wish I had one.
Here's a DIY probe that works well enough for many purposes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf diffamp-1.pdf (14.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 13th July 2019, 02:57 AM   #9
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazid View Post

Whilst spending your money I also wish I had an IR remote thermometer, one of those things with a screen so you can see component temperatures. I have never used one but imagine its handy for reduction of magic smoke.
One of the best things I have bought.
Instead of burning my fingers checking temperatures I can point my laser at it and read off the screen.
Old 13th July 2019, 09:03 AM   #10
DEAFASABAT is offline DEAFASABAT  United States
diyAudio Member

Adequate Lighting.
Which may or may not be achieved through using LED light sources. I am not very familiar with the latest in LED lighting, but I have yet to find any I liked.
OSHA standards seem to recommend a level of 50 to 100 candle power for fine work, and arraigned to avoid glare.

What works for my bench is a series of Halogen "Jewelry Case" 12 volt/20 watt lamps with integrated reflectors, mounted about 22" above the work surface and about 16" apart. Each lamp is on/off switchable and can be fully dimmed. The dimming circuit is comprised of a small ~2.5 amp variac supplying the primary of a transformer with a ~13.8 volt, 8 amp secondary.
This arraignment provides for the exact amount of light needed at the time, has excellent color rendition, and no eye strain. The MR-16 lamps, which used to be fairly expensive, are now available at low cost as surplus from vendors such as All Electronics.

I hope this may be of some help. This is a custom, adaptable and scalable bench lighting solution which can be built at a very low cost. Also does not emit any discernable RFI, which cannot be broadly claimed for the gaggles of cheap light fixtures sold of late.

MR-16 Halogen Lamps | All Electronics Corp.

Regards, -DAAB-

need help with new workbenchHide this!Advertise here!