Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

PCB pre-heater advice ?
PCB pre-heater advice ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2019, 05:18 AM   #1
JMF11 is offline JMF11  France
diyAudio Member

Default PCB pre-heater advice ?

Hello,

I'm worwing on a project that involves to solder different SMD packages, some with ground pads on the bottom, others with many fine pitch legs.

My intention is to order the PCB stencil and use solder paste. To ease the soldering process with the rework station (I have one I can access to), I would like to prehat the PCB with something like this:
YIHUA 853A 50Hz 220V Digital Preheat Soldering Station High Power ESD BGA Rework Station PCB Desoldering IR Preheating-in Soldering Stations from Tools on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Or something more similar to (but cheaper than) PCB Pre-heaters. Preheat for SMT, SMD, BGA. Lead-Free Solder Preheaters. Rework Pre-heat.

Any advice for something good enough to pre heat the PCB during the soldering?
JMF
Old 5th June 2019, 07:35 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For BGA work and re balling, Infra-Red is best I find. I use an IR6500 and for many years has worked well for replacing GPU chips on motherboards.
Reasonably priced as well, having a radiator below and above the work, computer controlled for accurate timing and temperatures.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 08.33.24.png (405.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 5th June 2019, 07:48 AM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I also use solder balls, they come in specific diameters to fit exactly the BGA sockets. The stainless steel stencils ensure a perfect fit for the solder balls.
Use plenty of low residue flux, the correct heating and cooling times are extremely important as it avoids stressing the components.
I heat the board up to 120℃ and it takes about 25minutes to settle, then the top heater heats the component to the correct temperature for the solder, my vacuum wand then removes the component.
Use de-soldering braid to remove the old solder from the board and when cool, clean with IPA.
Woks with no damage, every time and the chips, if not faulty, are reusable.
Old 12th July 2019, 09:49 PM   #4
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Use de-soldering braid to remove the old solder from the board and when cool, clean with IPA.
That desoldering braid works really well especially with plenty of flux.
I solder in PIC32MZ processors by just plastering the legs with solder off an iron. Then the braid plus flux removes the excess pretty solder quickly.

PCB pre-heater advice ?Hide this!Advertise here!