Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Lithium batteries holding cal values in old test equipment.
Lithium batteries holding cal values in old test equipment.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2019, 04:04 AM   #1
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Lithium batteries holding cal values in old test equipment.

So the discussion regarding losing cal values in a HP4378A multimeter because the battery died got me looking at my other test equipment, and it's something of a worry - most everything I own has an aging 3V lithium cell (or worse, a RTC/SRAM with lithium cell moulded into the package), that's just waiting to go flat and render my gear essentially useless.

Old HP gear tends to favour 2/3A lithium batteries:

HP3585B spectrum analyser - mine is 1989 manufacturing date: 2/3A 3V cell with 2 pins - mine reads 3.007V.

HP3325B signal generator - 1990 manufacturing date: 2/3A 3V cell with 3 pins (2 pins on +ve side with 0.3" spacing) - mine reads 3.049V. There's an additional pad in between the two +ve pads, so it looks like mine will also accept 2 pin batteries.

I'll use the following as a replacement: https://au.element14.com/saft/t32-8a...ralia%2Fsearch

Slightly newer stuff goes with awful integrated RAM/RTC/battery modules:

Tektronix TDS340A oscilloscope (1997 manufacturing date): DS1644 32K RAM + RTC. Obsolete. No way of measuring the battery voltage.

HP1660A logic analyser (1994 manufacturing date): DS1387 4K RAM + RTC. Also obsolete.

I note Dallas claims their SRAM/RTC/battery modules have "10 year operation in the absence of power". So my CRO has been running on borrowed time for 12 years, and my logic analyser for 15 years...

The DS1744 (not yet obsolete) appears to be a drop-in Y2K compliant replacement for the DS1644, so I should be able to give the CRO another X years of life by desoldering the module, reading it in my EPROM programmer, then writing it's contents to a DS1744. I'll put it back in a socket and program the contents to an eprom also which I can tape inside the instrument with instructions for next time...

The DS1387 is a little harder - there simply isn't a modern replacement that's compatible. There's a guide on the web for adding an external battery to such modules. It's ugly. Reworking the DS1287 / DS1387 RTC chip
Old 1st June 2019, 08:43 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

These batteries are still widely used but are improved for reliability.
Buy br 2/3 a online from RS Components
These links will give you some part numbers.
Specialty Size Batteries | RS Components
Old 1st June 2019, 10:36 PM   #3
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks John! From further reading the Lithium Poly Carbon Monoflouride (like the Panasonic BR you’ve referenced) have lower self-discharge (<0.5% per year at 60 deg) than other chemistries, so they’re perfect for very long life.

Lithium batteries holding cal values in old test equipment.Hide this!Advertise here!