Cheap rework station.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is not a scam, but you should read the instruction manual very thoroughly.
We have had a couple at work, and as new, they fuction fine......but.....
The airgun is under no circumstance to have any heat on, unless the airblower is on. Forget to turn down the heat for 10 min. without air pressure, the handle will melt instantly = leaking air out everywhere except through the "nose".
Consider yourself warned :)
In this day and age 99,99999999% of the time, you get, what you pay for :)

I've "bought" two or three severely discounted SMD rework stations on eBay, and it's always a scam. These seem to be popular items for scammers.

In the U.S., what will happen is that the item will just disappear from your purchase history, and you have to call eBay about it. They will open a case, and in a week or ten days, you get a refund, so there is no real risk involved.

On the good side, $45 - 50 USD buys a decent hobby grade rework station. I've got an 898D that works pretty well.

Win W5JAG

I bought a W.E.P. 995D for 80€ and even at that price it's not something I would recommend to buy. I've had to repair the hot air gun twice. Not the gun itself, but the soldering on the PCB is so bad the sense resistor broke loose. The first time I repaired it, I thought I got it, but a few months later it stopped working again. I took a closer look and it turned out that the via was damaged, so I had to solder the resistor on both sides of the board to get a proper connection between the traces. Now it works fine. Apparently some of the Hakko clones are pretty good, but I couldn't say as I only have this one.

Interesting to see what kind of pile of junk this thing is if it ever arrives.

Edit: Haha! I just noticed the estimated delivery time is 2-6th June, so in 1-2 weeks! As if. This is most definitely a scam.

If you really need a rework station, don't bother with this one. You'll likely either end up with nothing or maybe some broken factory reject or something like that.

Last edited:
To my knowledge it's automatically on all listing except stuff like real estate and services. The seller doesn't get to choose. The only option for the seller is to either accept returns or not, but the money back guarantee is always there.

Screen capture:

Attachments

• reworkscam.jpg
    reworkscam.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 269
Hi, thanks Nigel for the hint.
I just check out some site from China. This device is on the market longer time at this low price point. At least 6 month.
Strangely this is not sold very well and almost no review on this product.
(Strange because normally in China the lowest price sells best.) If any of you have good experience with it, please share. I would be one.

Likely so - I'm not willing to tie up $20 bucks until mid August to find out. Been there, done that ...

I'm looking at the hobby grade ones with a built in variable DC power supply ( Search "3 in 1" or "4 in 1" with the other usual search terms ). Desktop space is limited here at the office and the kitchen table at our second house, where it would be used.

Win W5JAG

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm willing to risk it. Worst case eBay claws the money back from him. We will see what comes.

I don't see how tariffs will figure into this. I get stuff from China for less than a letter to China would cost me. How the tariffs will be managed and collected on thousands of individual $2 transactions is mind boggling.

They don't seem to have affected the small transaction stuff at all.

On the other hand, I have been sort of considering buying a cheap Rigol RF spectrum analyzer. This time last year, they were $600 bucks, more or less. Now they are $900 bucks, more or less. Don't know if this is because of the tariffs, or something else.

Win W5JAG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.