Cheap rework station.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, that guy is selling 3 in 1's for just $10. Shipping free! Get the power supply for just three more bucks!

Professional 3in1 Soldering Iron Hot Air Gun SMD Power Supply Solder Kit Station | eBay

Win W5JAG

That certainly seems too good to be true..........

I just bought this at $70 still mighty cheap. I had a Hakko 941 and 852 on the bench at work so used to take any SMD to work.

I have my TDS2024 to repair and its mostly SMD there is 1 shorted SMD tantalum cap and a couple of shorted C-E transistors.

This got a few good reviews on YouTube so pulled the pin and bought one.

2in1 Soldering Iron Station Digital Solder Rework Hot Air Gun SMD Desoldering AU | eBay

Joined 2004
Paid Member
While I wait for my rework station to appear (which it may not) it occurred to me that these may be hijacked accounts. It happened to me a few years ago and eBay was pretty good about it.

The really cheap items just appeared. There is a 30V 10A supply listed for $10 and the same bid up to $22. Really fishy.

I think so. Some of the accounts are (almost) brand new and have fake feedbacks, while this last one has a pretty long history with real buyers.

I just wonder about the motivation. In my case the seller sent me a messages about the underpriced USB scope being unavailable after 3 weeks of having my money at his paypal account. That would be a nice way of short-term financing is you "sell" hundreds of such items. Maybe paypal does not charge for payments if they are refunded later on?

Maybe paypal does not charge for payments if they are refunded later on?

I suspect they sell loads, get some mates to send give good feedback then once they are starting to get rumbled withdraw all monies from the paypal account.
Then start up next week with different account doing the same.

What is odd about the USB scope listing at £11-99 is someone has come in and undercut it at about £10-99. Its a different account so maybe its as I have guessed.

Maybe so, but I had absolutely no problem getting the money back - the guy said "you do not have to respond to this message, I am sending the refund in 3 days". IMO those ordering will not loose any money, they will just part with them for a few weeks. Which IMO complies with Ebay's Terms and conditions.

Maybe so, but I had absolutely no problem getting the money back - the guy said "you do not have to respond to this message, I am sending the refund in 3 days". IMO those ordering will not loose any money, they will just part with them for a few weeks. Which IMO complies with Ebay's Terms and conditions.

While you get your money back, ebay have to stump up your refund.
The seller is long gone with the cash.

I have received many refunds on ebay (10+) and they were always suggested and offered by the original seller voluntarily. In all the cases the paypal sender account was the original receiver of the cash.

As I said, it was the the seller who contacted me with apology the scope was not available anymore, after 3 weeks. I do not think there was ebay involved, 3 weeks is too early to reach any threshold.

Well, now the guy has 10 inch tablets for < $10 bucks, and those gallon jugs of stuff are < $1 USD with shipping.

10.1" inch 8GB+256GB Tablet PC Computer Laptop Android 8.1 MTK6797 Ten Core | eBay

... "This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 20 business days." ...

Extended handling time means scam, in my experience. so they can keep taking in sales, without having to prove they have shipped anything. I would file a claim as soon as the extended handling time is up if there is no proof of shipment, and not wait for the delivery window to expire. Maybe it will force the guy to acquire and ship an item or two to keep the scam going.

I got one of the new DMM's with a low grade o scope graphical display, for about one third the going rate in a scam listing, by making a claim as soon as possible under the rules. The scammer got a guy in the states to 2nd day FedEx the item to me, and used proof of that shipment to try to get eBay off of him. They still shut him down a few days later. But I got the DMM.

Win W5JAG

Last edited:
Aaand surprise surprise ladies and gentelemen! It is a scam. The rework stations should have arrived already, I got a tracking code which is a fake one, and there is no tracking information at all.

I've now requested a refund and I imagine it will take the full 8 days before the bastard even replies to it. I will inform eBay about this guy, but in my experience they do absolutely nothing about these things.

Just steer clear of these ridiculous discounts.

Its difficult for ebay to decide if someone is fake or not until quite a period of time has passed. As its from China then 3-4 weeks is not unknown for delivery times.
I got some flash drives from China which took 3 months !

There were two sellers selling the cheap USB scopes but there is only one on at the moment. The first one keeps coming and going after selling 100 units.

I've done hundreds of deals with Chinese merchants and the normal delivery time is 4-6 weeks. The fastest I ever got was just over 1 week and the merchant sent the goods to me as an Express letter.

None of this is relevant in this case though, as I received a tracking code, which was never registered anywhere. They are always registered at least once, usually twice before they even leave China. That is what the tracking code is for. The quoted 1 week delivery time was also a red flag. Registered mail simply will not travel that fast from China. Everything about this guy screams fraud. Just look at the items he's selling. Brand new Mitutoyo digital calipers for £8, Mitutoyo dial indicator £7.66 and he also had a Milwaukee tool cart for something like £12. What part of this doesn't seem like a scam?

The funny thing about eBay is that they're always pestering long time members with perfectly clean transaction history and yet these scammers registered yesterday get to whatever they want. Every single time I've sold something on eBay, they hold my money back for the full 21 days and I have a pristine transaction history with hundreds of 100% positive feedback.

Our little friend stepped up his game.

I love it when they play hard to get.

EDIT: OK, I got a refund from eBay, not the seller. So yeah, this is how they operate. They keep the sums small enough so eBay won't hold the payment and they just take the money and run. It's still a little confusing how PayPal allows this to happen. I thought you need a valid ID to open an account. If I understand correctly, you can only run a scam like this once, and then you need some sort of a new ID to open another PayPal account.

Attachments

• ebayscam.jpg
    ebayscam.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.