Agilent/HP 82357B + HP 8903B + Pete Millett's tools / VEE runtime

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Was wondering what Keysight/Agilent/HP VEE runtime program is everyone using under Windows 10? I can only get the VEE Pro 9.33 to install and it does seem to control the HP well, but I don't have $1k for this to be able to keep it past trial. This used to be free, as far as I know, and I'm just unsure what are the current options.

Secondly, is the Agilent/HP 82357B interface - which seems to be 100% genuine - supposed to come with the VEE program on it?

And, thirdly, any issues with Pete's tools running under 9.33? The VEE itself controls the HP perfectly well, but the programs were not doing anything. Just curious on the success rate there.

Thank you!

I realize this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for, but in case you get stuck with your current solution, I suggest looking at the Prologix controllers. I have a brief blurb about them here: Neurochrome Audio :: Tools

I'd certainly rather spend $150-200 on one of those than throwing $1k after other tools. I used them to control my HP8903 and HP3562/63.

Tom

Tom - interesting... and thank you. I realize I came across your website and I also have looked at Prologix, but the missing link from my assessment of options is the arm+leg vs. free quirk of VEE today. I am pretty sure I should be able to return the Agilent GPIB module and get the Prologix without a ton of aggravation.
About that - are there any tools similar to Pete's available on this platform?
Thank you.
aR

Tom - thank you again for picking up this conversation. A little more along the same lines.

Can your tools be ran with the Agilent interfaces? Not sure if there's a conspicuous "no" I should be aware of... The 82357B I have works perfectly fine with its included Agilent IO tools, and can fully connect with the HP 8309B.

Secondly, what are your tools returning? FR graphs, like Pete's? I am thinking of using the 8903B for this purpose, as I don't have a 3562A. As I have not yet explored the Prologix universe, I have no clue what is possible in that framework.

I can return the 82357B, but I don't yet feel I exhausted the exploration of what it can do. And the fact that it seems to connect so well with the 8309B makes me hesitant to return it yet.

Thank you for assisting with this.

Jeez! KaboooOOooom! It's alive!

Thank you Pete - amazing guy he is - but there's both a Runtime (free) version of VEE, and the Pro ($2k) version. Running Pete's vxe code costs nothing and relies only on the free VEE program: VEE Runtime | Keysight (formerly Agilent’s Electronic Measurement).

Also, required were the following steps I found on the GBIP-USB Adapter google group (Google Groups):
1. Install Agilent IO Library [version].
2. After installing Agilent IO library, run Agilent Connection Expert, select tools-> Option -> Agilent 488 Option and check 'Enable Agilent GPIB cards for 488 programs'
3. Install Agilent VEE runtime [version].
4. Open IO Configuration under VEE runtime folder, select find instrument. If the 8903B is connected to your PC now, the default address should be 28, and the software will ask you whether send "*IDN?" to the instrument at address 28, select No because 8903B not recognize this command
5. right click on the new instrument(@GPIB0::28::INSTR) , select instrument properties, and change the name to Audio Analyzer (case sensitive here!!!).
6. Pressed the save I/O configuration button in the Instrument Manager (very important!!!)
7. Select Advance and change the timeout to 20 sec
Usually, this will make your 8903B works with Pete Millet's software. If you got error message as following:
"Configuration Error: Driver for "Audio Analyzer" not found error number 801
Use the instrument manager to add it"
Pls check step 5/6 and make sure you use the right name/GPIB address and saved the configuration

This is it.

Last edited:
2. After installing Agilent IO library, run Agilent Connection Expert, select tools-> Option -> Agilent 488 Option and check 'Enable Agilent GPIB cards for 488 programs'
4. Open IO Configuration under VEE runtime folder, select find instrument. If the 8903B is connected to your PC now, the default address should be 28, and the software will ask you whether send "*IDN?" to the instrument at address 28, select No because 8903B not recognize this command
5. right click on the new instrument(@GPIB0::28::INSTR) , select instrument properties, and change the name to Audio Analyzer (case sensitive here!!!).
6. Pressed the save I/O configuration button in the Instrument Manager (very important!!!)
Usually, this will make your 8903B works with Pete Millet's software. If you got error message as following:
Pls check step 5/6 and make sure you use the right name/GPIB address and saved the configuration

In case anyone wonders, current [version] is 9.33.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Can your tools be ran with the Agilent interfaces?

No. The li'l script library I make available is specific to the Prologix controllers.

Secondly, what are your tools returning? FR graphs, like Pete's? I am thinking of using the 8903B for this purpose, as I don't have a 3562A. As I have not yet explored the Prologix universe, I have no clue what is possible in that framework.

Prologix provides a USB/Ethernet-to-HPIB interface that you can talk to. That's it. You can send commands and get responses back.

My script library (MATLAB and python) will perform amplitude vs frequency and THD+N vs frequency sweeps and store the output in a .csv file. You can drag that into Excel for graphing.

I provide the library as-is, where-is with no promises of support (in fact, with promises of no support.... :)). I don't have an 8903 anymore, so I can't assist in debugging.
I'd start with the python scripts. I've done all the hard work for you already. All you really need to do is to combine the building blocks I deliver to perform the function you need. If you've done any programming, python is pretty easy to learn.

If you want a more canned solution, you're better off looking elsewhere.

The advantage of the scripts versus a canned solution is flexibility. You could write a script to take your DUT through a complete test suite (many tests) automatically.

Tom

Jeez! KaboooOOooom! It's alive!

Thank you Pete - amazing guy he is - but there's both a Runtime (free) version of VEE, and the Pro ($2k) version. Running Pete's vxe code costs nothing and relies only on the free VEE program: VEE Runtime | Keysight (formerly Agilent’s Electronic Measurement).

Also, required were the following steps I found on the GBIP-USB Adapter google group (Google Groups):

This is it.

Legend! Just been following various info posted online re similar issues I've been having with my 8903. This solved it for me too."Enable Agilent GPIB cards for 488 Programs" Awesome. Only took me 2 days! Cheers!
Im running Vee Pro on a trial license though.. Where would I find the free runtime version? At the moment when I open up Millets software it opens in a software programming/editing suite. I then have to click a "play" button to run Millets software. Im running Windows 10, so when I follow other stuff Ive found online on what to download, nothing seems to work. Any clues on where to locate the free basic vee runtime to just enable me to run the audio analyzer programs? Cheers again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.