Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Heathkit AD-1308 Audio Spectrum Analyzer with External Sources
Heathkit AD-1308 Audio Spectrum Analyzer with External Sources
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2019, 12:28 AM   #11
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

This is a tool for speakers and rooms. It is imprecise for amplifiers.

It expects a random noise source. Using a sweep sine will probably read wrong, maybe a -3dB/oct slope?

> outputs of preamps and amps ... using a sweep generator

Even in "slow" it can hardly read to 1dB. Decent amplifiers do not have such large error in a 40Hz-16KHz band. A sweep source and good cheap meter will read small tenths of a dB, and far beyond the audio band.

Speaker level is dozens of volts. Microphones are milliVolts. While it turns out this will take quite hot mike levels, I still would use a LOT of pad in front. 1000:1 may be a good start. If the preamps are not distressed by 100k load, use 100k:100r divider. If the RTA is battery power, you may use 50k:100:50k U-pad to get a pseudo-balanced input and more protection against ground faults and loops.
Old 25th April 2019, 01:24 AM   #12
aa6u is offline aa6u  United States
diyAudio Member

The manual says it can test amps, but I think you're right that it is really for testing speakers and adjusting equalizers.

However, in searching through my treasure trove of misc. equipment I've collected over the years, I found an Audio Control SA-3050A Third Octave Real-Time Spectrum Analyzer that I think will work much better. It also has a built-in pink noise generator. I tested it on a preamp and it seemed to work well.

Heathkit AD-1308 Audio Spectrum Analyzer with External SourcesHide this!Advertise here!