Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Old Tektronix or a new Siglent scope
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2019, 12:09 AM   #1
tkollen is offline tkollen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Old Tektronix or a new Siglent scope

I've been an audio hobbyist for many years and during this time my old 20MHz Hitachi V-152F scope has served me very well but has recently started to show it's age and need of overhaul with capacitor replacement etc. Since I recently got involved with RF frequency related work with restoring ancient tuners and receivers I'm now looking for a scope with at least 150MHz-200MHz capability.

I have eventually identified two candidates, one is a 25 years old Tektronix 2465 with 4 channel and 300MHz capability. It is sold by a technician who has serviced, updated, tested and calibrated it. He stands behind the scope and gives me full warranty.

The other candidate is a brand new digital Siglent 1202x-e which has 200MHz and 2 channel capability. It is also much smaller and lighter than the Tektronix but portability has little consequence with me since it is going to stay stationary anyway.

With shipping both scopes have almost the same price at $380. Before I make a choice I would appreciate advise from anyone with experience with either or both scopes.
Old 14th April 2019, 01:39 AM   #2
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There is some Chinese seller selling a 20MHz USB scope with FFT for £12-33 on ebay.
The same model is about £45 elsewhere so it must be a batch they are trying to get rid of cheap.
Looking through the spec it is 45 mega/samples with 20Mhz bandwidth. This suggests 2.5 pixels per cycle which is clearly useless.
Why cant they be more truthful and put the sampling rate divided by at least 10 or even 100 to get a decent screen resolution ?
Old 14th April 2019, 01:40 AM   #3
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

The 2465 is really not that great a scope. I have one I bought off ebay. I am disappointed with it. The trace is noisy indicated by the thickness of the trace. Even with the 20MHz filter on. I'm comparing this with the older Tek 7000 series which are probably the best analog frames Tek ever built. The 2400 series were a compromise to compete with the cheaper Asian portable scopes.

Hope this helps.
Old 14th April 2019, 01:45 AM   #4
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

I would be lost without my Tek 2465, but use the Tek TDS3012B more often. Good to have both as the 2465 remains capable for looking at rf tuner stuff.

(For looking at digital signals I have an Analog Discovery unit.)
Old 14th April 2019, 09:09 AM   #5
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You´ll love the Siglent SDS1202X-E. ;-)
Keep in mind though that the SDS1004X-E and the SDS 2002X-E Series allow for doing Bode-plots, which the 2-channel SAS1002X-E can´t.
In any case brillinat scopes for their price-tag.

jauu
Calvin
Old 15th April 2019, 07:27 PM   #6
Vovk Z is offline Vovk Z  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Both can be ok (but I'm not RF-man). Good serviced Tek 2465 is briliant (I love my 2465A), but modern digital scope (with large enough memory and screen) is good choice too.
(Sory I can't help - both can be good for you).
I think you know what you can get from analog Tek, so you may do some research about digital one (how it works with 100 MHz RF staff?).
Old 16th April 2019, 04:22 PM   #7
RJM1 is offline RJM1  United States
diyAudio Member

The 2465 is a conventional (CRT) display scope, I would wonder at the displays condition and replace ability after 25 years.

Old Tektronix or a new Siglent scopeHide this!Advertise here!