Old Tektronix or a new Siglent scope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been an audio hobbyist for many years and during this time my old 20MHz Hitachi V-152F scope has served me very well but has recently started to show it's age and need of overhaul with capacitor replacement etc. Since I recently got involved with RF frequency related work with restoring ancient tuners and receivers I'm now looking for a scope with at least 150MHz-200MHz capability.

I have eventually identified two candidates, one is a 25 years old Tektronix 2465 with 4 channel and 300MHz capability. It is sold by a technician who has serviced, updated, tested and calibrated it. He stands behind the scope and gives me full warranty.

The other candidate is a brand new digital Siglent 1202x-e which has 200MHz and 2 channel capability. It is also much smaller and lighter than the Tektronix but portability has little consequence with me since it is going to stay stationary anyway.

With shipping both scopes have almost the same price at $380. Before I make a choice I would appreciate advise from anyone with experience with either or both scopes.

There is some Chinese seller selling a 20MHz USB scope with FFT for £12-33 on ebay.
The same model is about £45 elsewhere so it must be a batch they are trying to get rid of cheap.
Looking through the spec it is 45 mega/samples with 20Mhz bandwidth. This suggests 2.5 pixels per cycle which is clearly useless.
Why cant they be more truthful and put the sampling rate divided by at least 10 or even 100 to get a decent screen resolution ?

The 2465 is really not that great a scope. I have one I bought off ebay. I am disappointed with it. The trace is noisy indicated by the thickness of the trace. Even with the 20MHz filter on. I'm comparing this with the older Tek 7000 series which are probably the best analog frames Tek ever built. The 2400 series were a compromise to compete with the cheaper Asian portable scopes.

Hope this helps.

Both can be ok (but I'm not RF-man). Good serviced Tek 2465 is briliant (I love my 2465A), but modern digital scope (with large enough memory and screen) is good choice too.
(Sory I can't help - both can be good for you).
I think you know what you can get from analog Tek, so you may do some research about digital one (how it works with 100 MHz RF staff?).

The 2465 is really not that great a scope. I have one I bought off ebay. I am disappointed with it. The trace is noisy indicated by the thickness of the trace. Even with the 20MHz filter on. I'm comparing this with the older Tek 7000 series which are probably the best analog frames Tek ever built. The 2400 series were a compromise to compete with the cheaper Asian portable scopes.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like a gassy CRT. I'm well familiar with all the Teks up to the DSO days. Only 7000 series of interest to me would be the 400MHz 7844 dual beam. I have a brand new CRT for one sitting in Tek box. My all time favorite scope is the 2465B. Had one on my bench in Silicon valley. Drawback on the 24xx series now is age of CRTs and custom hybrids Tek used. Replacements getting impossible to find.

Doc

Danger once you get into RF stuff you'll be looking for RF spectrum analyzer too, not so cheap (unless you can restore a broken one) :)

A bit late. Spent ten years doing instrumentation repair. RF wise my sources go to a gig and counters up to 18GHz. Bench meters up to 7 digits, resolving a microvolt up to 1KV. Covered on power supplies. RMS AC ~1% to 1 MHz, 3% to 10 MHz. Scope to 150MHz, several slower. A passel of Tek TM mainframes and a few plug ins. Virtually every model of GenRad resistor decades. HV supply ul to 3KV, 12 if I replaced some HV caps.

A good, possible very lucrative hobby project for someone would be to design and built LCD display to replace CRT in HP141T mainframe to make th 85xx spectrum analyzers more reliable. Jusg too many fires to stuff irons in and not a lot of time left.
Doc

At one time I was using a 2467B MCP crt, the glitch hunter we called it.
I would vote new vs old but that depends on the features and capabilities
You have to think about probes, you say that you are working on tuners so a fet probe maybe in your cards.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.