Help with tube tester setting for 6N2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the response.
I looked it up and this is from wiki.

The most significant difference between the two is that 6N2P has its two filament elements connected in parallel, unlike the series filament connection of the 12AX7, and it is thus only possible to operate it from a 6.3 volt, 340 mA filament supply (whereas a 12AX7may be operated from either 6.3 or 12.6 volts, at 300 mA or 150 mA, respectively.) The 6N2P also has slightly lower gain than a 12AX7. The 6N2P's slightly lower gain and higher filament draw is similar to the 5751 tube (introduced in the mid-'50s)

That's weird. One of two. Either there was a faulty tube or your tube tester was faulty.

6n2p some time, withstand voltage of the filament 12 volt.

you need to set the measurement mode to 12ax7, but set the filament switch to 6.3 volts.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the responses.

I found in the manual for the tube checker it-17, a section on settings for new tubes. Ones that are not on the roll chart.

I followed this and was able to get the the heaters to come on, and to test the tubes.

Part of this process the manual is setting the "TYPE" switch on the tester. it reads as follows.

Type 1- for low cathode current tubes below 4ma, usually diode types
Type 2- for tube types with cathode current between 3ma and 15ma, These are usually filament type tubes with the exception of diodes.
Type 3 - for tube types with cathode currents greater than 8ma. These are usually indirect-heated cathode types with the exception of diodes.
Type 4- for gas control tubes, gaseous rectifiers and eye or target tubes.

When i look in the specs for the 6N2 tubes it lists a max
Cathode current of 10ma. Since it is max I'm not sure if what type i should set it to. Does anyone have any advice?
FYI a 12ax7 is listed as a type 1.

Thank you jazbo8. The other confusing thing in the manual is setting the plate number. It ranges from 0-100. i'm not sure if the numbers relate to anything or they are just arbitrary. The 12ax7 has a setting of 20.

In the manual setting The plate knob in a new tube without setting data is done by:

Hold the ADJUST LINE SHORT-TEST switch in the TEST position and adjust the PLATE control to bring the pointer to the middle of the GOOD scale. (If possible, make this adjustment for at least three new tubes of the same type and select the average setting.

My issue with this is I'm biasing my results this way. By doing this I'm guaranteeing that the tube tests at what ever i set it to. To reach half way in the GOOD scale it's at about 19.

What do you guys think?

Hey Guys,
Since no one has responded. I'm gong to post what I have and call it a day.

My settings for the 6N2 tube on the Heathkit IT-17 TUBE TESTER are as follows:

The plate setting is an estimation at 20.

TRIODE 1------TYPE =1----- PLATE= ~20-----HEATER= 6.3-----TOP=AB------BOTTOM= C E FG
TRIODE 2------TYPE =1----- PLATE= ~20-----HEATER= 6.3----- TOP=FG------BOTTOM= AB E H

*E is in Bold

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.