Help / Suggestions Metcal MX500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up a Metcal MX500 station for general soldering/desoldering work and looking for some guidance on tip selection. It came with a desoldering tool (requires a compressor). Could someone suggest a couple of tips for both the soldering iron and desoldering tool that would cover a range of soldering I might encounter when doing a recapping or repair on audio equipment. I believe the tips come in different temperatures as well as different tip styles. I want to thank you up front for any advice you may give me.

Regards,
gwho

Joined 2011
I just picked up a Metcal MX500 station for general soldering/desoldering work
and looking for some guidance on tip selection.

For Metcal irons I like the shorter length tips with a narrow flat on the end.
For heavier soldering you'd need a wider flat on the tip. You really only need
those two tips, unless you do a lot of fine smt work. For smt, avoid their
longer tips if possible.

I would not recommend any of their longer tips, which have poorer thermal regulation.
See page 10 here: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1...MI7M-xjIyq4AIVmLXACh3rzgpUEAAYASAAEgJ2sfD_BwE

Last edited:
I have found that the tips might as well be bought from OKI direct as they are no more expensive than resellers. Or 2nd hand on flea bay I suppose if you want a gamble.
I use a 5mm tip for earthing and power flex soldering, a 2mm chisel for general purpose work, and a fine tip for smd work. Seems to work OK for me.

I use the hotter 412 C tips. The 5mm is STTC-117, the others I use are 136P and 147P, the latter is a bevel 1.8mm long nose tip for SMD - well the stuff I can still see! I like all of them and find the long nose fine on small stuff, but I am an amateur unlike many far more knowledgeable folk on here. Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.